Short turn-based tournaments are seriously lacking integrity

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Serilo

Short turn-based tournaments are seriously lacking integrity

Post by Serilo »

The only way to setup short tournaments causes them to be a timeout galore.
24 hours per player settings are extremely unsound: It's a two days tournament, so you have to factor in on average 7.5 hours for sleep only per day, which means if you get unlucky with the time zones or sleeping patterns you could be very well 14 or more hours off just because of that. Then factor in the need to eat something, and...
basically to reliably finish all games in such a tournament requires you to be someone without a job, without any other duties, constantly glued to the screen...
not good.
Generally, it would be far better if turn-based tournaments could have fixed playing hours to complete them(with a maximum of 16 hours per day).
RicardoRix

Re: Short turn-based tournaments are seriously lacking integrity

Post by RicardoRix »

I think you're missing the 'Playing hours' selection in the tournament configuration.

Personally I think the time-outs come from a lack of a move time increment.
Some games maybe 10 moves, some might be 200. How does that fit in a constant time frame?
Especially with round-robin format, this time-increment would work well.
Songo

Re: Short turn-based tournaments are seriously lacking integrity

Post by Songo »

I made the mistake of joinning a few 2 days per player games of CoC and its a pain not running out of time

The game would take, I guess, about 50-60 moves per player, if you are unlucky with the time zones and you lose 8 hours * 3 days thats 1 day gone, so you have 24 hours to make 60 moves, pretty unrealistic

I've also seen a tournament (not sure if it was CoC) with 8 hours playing time or something like that, not sure what is the motivation behind those?

I guess if you join there is a chance all your opp. will quit and you get some points on your account?

It would be nice checking some stats for those tournaments, number of completed games and so on

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”