Tournaments FAQ

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
chrisa

Re: Tournaments FAQ

Post by chrisa »

Hi,

We were playing a NorthwestPassage tournament and one player never showed up (4 days late). Actually, this "player" has never played any game on BGA. Then I recommended his opponent to expel him.
Result:
- the opponent won the game (fine)
- they both got 0.5 points (this does not seem correct)
- the tournament was ended after one round (6 were planned...)

Is there any chance that you can reopen the tournament so we could play the remaining rounds?

Can you propose a solution for situations where someone never shows up or exceeds his time limit by far?

Thanks,
chrisa
Oso

Post by Oso »

Yes, it's a bug, expel games are considered tied when should be one winner.

So, your tour would be better if you play in Real Time.
chrisa

Post by chrisa »

Yes, it's a bug, expel games are considered tied when should be one winner.
OK, considering the game tied is a bug that should be fixed.
But in our case, not only there was a tie but all the remaining rounds of the tournament were cancelled (we played a single round instead of 6, then the tournament ended).
So, your tour would be better if you play in Real Time.
Unfortunately, not everybody can spend several hours in a row playing on BGA...

I think the bug should not be too complicated to fix.

Btw, it would also be nice to have different backgrounds (green/yellow) for real-time/turn-based tournaments in the list.

Thanks
chrisa
Oso

Post by Oso »

Excepting Seasons, Long games hasn't nice reputations in Tournaments... if you want a good tour would be better create one of Can't Stop or Dragonheart..

Also, the time-recommended-average is around 1-2 hours and some games takes lot of times. Maybe you can create a real-time of 3 games... 4 games if you get friends who will not quit xD.

Games like TTA and Caylus are the worst because has +45 min average...
Quodlibet

Post by Quodlibet »

Hi, I also had a problem with a Hive tournament: boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=2509

One player does not play his game and his opponent also not answer my message about kick the other player. But reading here, maybe it's better if I do not want the tournament is over.
Also the second round should have started yesterday or today.

Any option for admins to cancel that match?
Thanks!
Oso

Post by Oso »

Quodlibet wrote:Hi, I also had a problem with a Hive tournament: boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=2509

One player does not play his game and his opponent also not answer my message about kick the other player. But reading here, maybe it's better if I do not want the tournament is over.

Thanks!
In your tournament, tour-system kicked all players except two. So, next games only will be played with these two players... if some of these quit too, the tournament will be ended.
Quodlibet

Post by Quodlibet »

Oso wrote:
Quodlibet wrote:Hi, I also had a problem with a Hive tournament: boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=2509

Thanks!
In your tournament, tour-system kicked all players except two. So, next games only will be played with these two players... if some of these quit too, the tournament will be ended.
Hi oso, maybe you don´t check correctly the tourney. All the games of round are finished, except one. That game is the problem, it is possible cancel that game? I think HIKARU Mk-2 will play the next rounds but Onghuibin only created his account and entered to the tournament, no more activity from her. Thank you
Quodlibet

Post by Quodlibet »

Hi, finally, the Hive tournament was ended. I think is necessary some improves:

1) A filter about games played of that same game previously to enter to the tourney (5 or 10)
2) Fix the kick off situations
3) Set correctly the start time (the tournament started 4 hours later)

Thanks
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

For Swiss type tournaments is there any possibility to run games simultaneously for turn based modes? Even maybe doing 2 at a time to allow for more rounds in a tournament without it dragging on forever. This would provide more of a league type feel (something that is done quite well for Terra Mystica) and allow people to have ample time in each game and still complete a tournament in a reasonable time. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to give it a new name or in an ideal world could create a round robin style tournament with all games simultaneous...obviously limiting the number of players so as not to be ridiculous...but this could even lead to pool play type tournaments with pool winners facing off in finals. Like 1-7 players is round robin. 8+ and you are broken into pools, again could be customizable. :-)

And I know tournaments aren't that popular at this point so it might not be a high priority, but I'm thinking people will appreciate the turn based ones if they don't drag out forever.
Ippokratis

Post by Ippokratis »

In tournament "Stone Age • Flintstones Christmas 2015", created for 16 persons, more than 16 registered! During the drawing, some of them (randomly) were not drawn (only 16 were drawn) and were thrown out of the competition.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”