Tournaments FAQ

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
spinphd

Re: Tournaments FAQ

Post by spinphd »

I don't believe the changing date/time of a tournament feature works.

I had originally scheduled my tournament for 12 my time on Friday. However, a day before the tournament I decided to change the time to start 4 hours later to accommodate a player. It was all set up to begin then and stated it would now start at 16 my time. However, at the time I originally had scheduled it the game was marked as completed instead of being completed at 16.
Oso

Post by Oso »

I wanted to create a Sobek tour for 3p games, but I couldn't do it :(.

It's a bug or not?
a_mandible

Post by a_mandible »

sourisdudesert wrote:Yes, it looks there is a bug with turn based tournaments at now.
From the original announcement I didn't realize turn-based tournaments were possible at all-- thank you very much for working on it! I look forward to being able to create them. (Or is it already possible, and the bug only affects some?)
Peyrol

Post by Peyrol »

I'm glad to hear of Swiss tourneys! Thanks so much for your hard work!

I see, on the tournament creation page, the only time controls for real time are so called "sudden death" controls, where you stand to lose the game if you run out of time. There are other alternative controls I hope you will consider. For example, increment per move means each time you make a move, a set number of seconds or minutes are added to your time. If you make a move faster than this increment, you wind up with more time on your clock than when you started the move. This might extend the duration of a round beyond its scheduled end, however. Another way is to add X seconds if you took longer than X seconds to move, but if you took X or fewer seconds, restore your time to what it was at the start of your move. It's called Bronstein timing, and is essentially the same as an X second delay at the start of your move. This is less likely to throw off a tourney schedule. These alternatives can avoid a wild time scramble as your clock runs out. It can also help compensate for a slow Net connection.

I also hope you will consider automating the number of Swiss system rounds, based on attendance at the moment the tournament starts. If a particular two-player game has few or no draws, then with N participants, (the logarithm base 2 of N) rounds, rounded up to a whole number, should be enough to choose a winner while minimizing the time the tournament takes. Or is this how it works already?
Oso

Post by Oso »

Simply bug:

- In Swiss tours, the games don't start if you don't put when the first game start (using the time tool).

- If someone quit, the other player get victory but the tour take it as tie.
Oso

Post by Oso »

ALSO:

- Block tours for SOLO and CO-OP games like Injawara, Thermopyles and Hanabi

- Block tours of 3p mininum games like Coloretto, Niagara, Lord of Xidit.. etc

- Block these games that isn't recommend play by 2 players like Saboteur, 6 Nimnt... etc.
senatorhung

Post by senatorhung »

this hive tourney isn't starting ...

http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=2509

is there something we need to do to kickstart it ?

EDIT:
looks like the first match time needs to be set since it is swiss style.

however, why does the time between the draw and the first match need to be as long as the length of a match ? that is 15 days for this turn.based tourney !!! ... that interim should maybe be reduced to be as long as the time per turn ??

'as soon as possible' is the default .. but then the tourney won't start itself.

EDIT2:
attempted to start a realtime swiss hive tourney:

http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=2535

adjusted the first match time to be 30 minutes after the tourney draw time. the start time came and went without the tourney starting.
derweon

Post by derweon »

Hey BGA,

I signed up for a Libertalia tournament for today at 21.00 (Tue 17 Nov, Central European Time) but somehow it has been already played, even though it's still morning where I live. How is that possible, was there a bug?

Thanks for your answer,

derweon
senatorhung

Post by senatorhung »

okay, so the swiss tourneys are starting properly as long as the first match times are set properly.

now that i have set up and run a tourney successfully, is there a way to repeat a tourney with the same settings without having to set it up anew each time ? i assumed that this is why the drop.down box is available for previously created tourneys under 'Championship Name', but the settings are not being inherited.
Oso

Post by Oso »

Really, the date can't be change in tours, also the tour system...

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”