Checkers Request

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ScreamingMeme

Checkers Request

Post by ScreamingMeme »

Please add an option to turn off refutation.
nmego

Re: Checkers Request

Post by nmego »

Why?
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

without the 'force to take' strategy it can become very difficult to do anything in certain situations and you'll get to stalemate, no one can move positions.
ScreamingMeme

Post by ScreamingMeme »

RicardoRix wrote:without the 'force to take' strategy it can become very difficult to do anything in certain situations and you'll get to stalemate, no one can move positions.
That may be true for some players, but in my experience stalemates are very rare. Just think it would be a nice option :)
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

mutually agree to it with your opponent beforehand?
ScreamingMeme

Post by ScreamingMeme »

I do sometimes, but when me and the person i'm playing with speak different languages, it can be difficult.
tumult_wanja

Post by tumult_wanja »

First I have to say, I have only played Russian checkers (I don't know if my suggestion is applicable to other versions). I would like to suggest to make an option to force to take the pieces. I think the refutation sometimes slow down the game. The people are trying to make an alternative move, if they see that to take would lead to a bad situation. This lead to unnecessary moves.
compte obelète

Post by compte obelète »

I am totally okay whit that!

I just get someone taking advantage of it, They are cheaters :evil: :cry:
USDescartes

Post by USDescartes »

Please provide option to simply force a player to take. The "Refute" ability is confusing to new players, because the rules already state that if a player can take a piece during a turn, then that is what the player must do. Plus, when playing several games (of any kind) and returning to your game of checkers, it is unnecessarily laborious to basically REQUIRE me to look through the entire last turn, to see if my opponent simply followed the rules or not. There is no way to simply remember the setup of each checkers game I am playing, and I do not understand why I should be responsible for making sure my opponent is following the rules.

How many other games on Board Game Arena allow players to not follow the rules, forcing you to check on them? Don't all of the other games on BGA simply have the rules programmed in, so that, for checkers, it simply will not let you make a move that does not capture anything, if there is any possibility of taking something? The whole idea of having to "Refute" makes the ability to program rules into the game useless.

What am I missing? I mean, even if someone (the programmer?) WANTS that interaction, to allow someone to cheat... shouldn't that be an option we can turn off??
ufm

Post by ufm »

You are not missing anything. Unfortunately no one maintains BGA Checkers code now.
BGA's code development is basically voluntary (=no payment), so you have to wait until someone jumps in or do it yourself.

Return to “Checkers”