Possible to integrate nicer graphics for the gears if I supply them?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Philomorph

Possible to integrate nicer graphics for the gears if I supply them?

Post by Philomorph »

I love Tzolk'in on the table and online, but it makes me sad to see the gears so plain.

If I supplied scans of my hand painted gears from the game could they be integrated into the BGA version?
paramesis

Re: Possible to integrate nicer graphics for the gears if I supply them?

Post by paramesis »

BGA's license with publishers generally requires use of the game assets provided by the publisher, so it wouldn't be possible for BGA to do this "officially". See here: http://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/BGA_St ... iginal_art

What you could do is format your images as PNG's that align as closely as possible to the gears in the existing adaptation, upload them somewhere, then use the CSS override feature. The css would probably look something like this:

Code: Select all

#tzolkin-interface .palenque {
background-image: url(<your uploaded image url>);
}
This would replace this gear with your own.
Philomorph

Re: Possible to integrate nicer graphics for the gears if I supply them?

Post by Philomorph »

paramesis wrote: 20 October 2020, 16:43 BGA's license with publishers generally requires use of the game assets provided by the publisher, so it wouldn't be possible for BGA to do this "officially". See here: http://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/BGA_St ... iginal_art

What you could do is format your images as PNG's that align as closely as possible to the gears in the existing adaptation, upload them somewhere, then use the CSS override feature. The css would probably look something like this:

Code: Select all

#tzolkin-interface .palenque {
background-image: url(<your uploaded image url>);
}
This would replace this gear with your own.
Well that's a bummer. Thanks for the idea to use CSS override though!

I tried it using your example and it sort of worked. But something is off, and it might have to do with the way the game rotates the images, I'm not sure (I'm not very familiar with CSS).

I was able to edit the original PNG in photoshop and make a small modification, just as a test, and save it on IMGUR. Adding the override code puts the new image on the board, but the result is offset by a third and not rotated. It almost seems like the image is too big too, because it also has additional bits of it sticking in from the sides, like it's tiled.

You can see what it looks like here:

Original:

CSS Override:

Looking closer at the source in the browser I saw there was a parent object of sorts that is larger and the image is offset. I tweaked the PNG in photoshop to match the size and offset, and now the custom gear shows up aligned properly. But it doesn't actually rotate - the plain image underneath it does, so I guess I'm replacing the wrong image.

This is way beyond my skill/experience with CSS, so I'll have to forget it I guess, unless someone wants to do if for themselves and share the override code. Then I can supply images :)

Return to “Tzolk'in”