How to Castle in Chess 960 ?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
vigorousRoll

How to Castle in Chess 960 ?

Post by vigorousRoll »

I'd played a previous game of Chess 960 (where the starting position of the pieces is shuffled randomly) and intended to castle. I clicked on my King and then clicked on the rook that I wanted to "trade places" with and nothing happened...I was stuck having to move my King somewhere since I had clicked on it and the rook stayed put (and, no, i had not moved either piece in the game). So what is the procedure for castling ?
RicardoRix

Re: How to Castle in Chess 960 ?

Post by RicardoRix »

click the king, and then use the buttons at the top. Says something like 'castle g-side'
What is not clear is exactly how they interchange move.
Castling in chess960 is very easy: No matter the starting position, the king and rook always go to the same final squares as in regular chess. In other words, the castling destinations (either queenside or kingside) are identical to the castling destinations in standard chess. This means, irrespective of which of the 960 starting positions you are playing, O-O (for white) would find the king on g1 and the rook that was to the right of the king on f1. O-O-O would find the king on c1 and the rook that was to the left of the king on d1.
vigorousRoll

Re: How to Castle in Chess 960 ?

Post by vigorousRoll »

Thanks ! That worked.

What I got was a box highlighted in blue up in the action window, as you said, that read "castle c-side". I clicked on it and got castled....although the end-result wasn't quite what I expected ...as my King now resided on square c1 and the Rook on d1. I was expecting something more along the lines of a1-b1 or b1-c1 for the King and Rook, respectively..

Return to “Chess”