Changing usernames

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
hollyno28

Changing usernames

Post by hollyno28 »

Hey,
I'd love if it were an option to change usernames. Even if it were just allowed once or you had to pay a $10 fee something.

It's silly that I can change my name legally so it's no longer Holly but I'm forever Holly on BGA unless I want to lose all my game history, ratings I've left for other players, etc. I'm being called the wrong name and get misgendered constantly. It definitely makes BGA a lot less fun.

Also, I'm disappointed that no one ever responded to my email regarding this. Support trans players!

- Alex
veme

Re: Changing usernames

Post by veme »

+1
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Changing a name legally in the physical world is not a trivial matter (costing CA$137 and requiring several forms) . It should not be a trivial matter on-line either. Also, if you don't want people misgendering you, might I suggest adding your preferred gender to your profile? At the time I checked, it was not listed.

While I can see rare circumstances where a legal name change is requested (and therefore a user name change as well), I see more potential for abuse than for legitimate purposes. And, for those wondering where I came up with "rare" circumstances, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/healt ... ation.html -- less than 1% of the general population.

Again, I am not saying that a user name change should not be considered. I am saying that it should not be a trivial matter to change one's name.

If someone really wants to change their username, they can create a new user account. Yes, they will lose their reputation, game statistics, and friends list. The list can be re-generated (and messages can be sent from the original account explaining the change), reputation is fairly easily reestablished, and game ranking will sort itself out after several plays.
demiurgsage

Post by demiurgsage »

Actually change your name on the one site is usually easier than change your name offline. Only 1 database query is needed. The issue is that query should be written and executed manually by the site admin. So they don't want to have a lot of users requested it. But sometimes they help users.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

demiurgsage wrote:. Only 1 database query is needed.
Depending, of course, on how the database was designed... :) Also, have to ensure that the requested name is not already used, and that all foreign keys propagate correctly.
hollyno28

Post by hollyno28 »

demiurgsage wrote:Actually change your name on the one site is usually easier than change your name offline. Only 1 database query is needed. The issue is that query should be written and executed manually by the site admin. So they don't want to have a lot of users requested it. But sometimes they help users.
I emailed and asked for help and never received a response. I included a new username.
I get that it's work. That's why I suggested a fee
hollyno28

Post by hollyno28 »

Jest Phulin wrote:Changing a name legally in the physical world is not a trivial matter (costing CA$137 and requiring several forms) . It should not be a trivial matter on-line either. Also, if you don't want people misgendering you, might I suggest adding your preferred gender to your profile? At the time I checked, it was not listed.

While I can see rare circumstances where a legal name change is requested (and therefore a user name change as well), I see more potential for abuse than for legitimate purposes. And, for those wondering where I came up with "rare" circumstances, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/healt ... ation.html -- less than 1% of the general population.

Again, I am not saying that a user name change should not be considered. I am saying that it should not be a trivial matter to change one's name.

If someone really wants to change their username, they can create a new user account. Yes, they will lose their reputation, game statistics, and friends list. The list can be re-generated (and messages can be sent from the original account explaining the change), reputation is fairly easily reestablished, and game ranking will sort itself out after several plays.

It's definitely more than 1%. Stats like that are really conservative and don't account for those who can't be out irl for safety reasons. Also, why the eff are you "educating" a trans person on trans stats? That's hella condescending and unnecessary. This is my life, personally, professionally, and academically.

I know how the legal name change process works and how much it costs - I'm saying as much. You really don't need to quote prices. I. Know. Actually it costs more than that because of the IDs that need to be reissued. It caused me to not receive over $2000 in school funding this fall.
Again, don't try to educate a trans person on their own gd life.

I don't have a gender selected because i don't identify as a woman or a man. The lack of gender is fine. If I could use my name - Alex (alexno28) - then I wouldn't have people assuming "she" and "correcting" others (who aren't familiar with English names and are saying "he") by saying "it's a girl"
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

If you want to change username, please create another account.

BGA is a social website, you interact with many people. If player's usernames are changing constantly, this could be very confusing. Imagine you discover one morning a player XXXX that plays +100 games with you but you have no memories of him/her?

As Jest Phulin say, this is not a trivial matter. So if you want to change your username, the price to pay is removing your account and create a new one. Not a big deal.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Jest Phulin wrote: And, for those wondering where I came up with "rare" circumstances, ...
I was educating a general forum reader, not a specific person.

Could you please provide verifiable sources for your "definitely more than 1%" claim?

The cost quotes were to support a claim that it should not be a trivial matter. Again, I am not saying the issue should not be considered, I am saying that 1) it should not be a trivial issue and 2) that there are ways to accomplish a similar (granted, not exactly the same) goal without involving BGA staff.

----------------------
Edit -- apparently sourisdudesert posted as I was typing this.
hollyno28

Post by hollyno28 »

sourisdudesert wrote:If you want to change username, please create another account.

BGA is a social website, you interact with many people. If player's usernames are changing constantly, this could be very confusing. Imagine you discover one morning a player XXXX that plays +100 games with you but you have no memories of him/her?

As Jest Phulin say, this is not a trivial matter. So if you want to change your username, the price to pay is removing your account and create a new one. Not a big deal.
uh, no one is saying that usernames need be changing constantly. I want one change, once. If my username didn't have my birth name in it it wouldn't be an issue, so that means even fewer trans players would need username changes.

And cool, nice to know that BGA has no intention of supporting trans users.

Return to “Suggestions”