Ways to raise money for BGA

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Faedur

Re: Ways to raise money for BGA

Post by Faedur »

What about a cheaper access to be premium member ?

Also some more restricted functionnalities with non-premium players like numbers of games per day or per weeek, etc. but the membership cost have to be very attractive at this point.

Another tip : it could be a "donate" button that gives you access to premium as thanks and not a purchase of the premium by interests.
Nanaki404

Post by Nanaki404 »

sourisdudesert wrote:
Liallan wrote:I would have to assume since they have not gone the ad route, it is because they choose not to, or cannot
We choose not to.

We may do it, but we dislike that AND it's complicated for an hundred reasons. So that's it for now.
I understand why you do not want to shove ads through players throat, which many players will most likely dislike.
But what about facultative ads ?

Like, having a single page which specifically contains ads, accessible by players if they want to show support to BGA without actually paying any money.
There is a French website ("anona", juste google it) which uses this concept of "voluntary ads" to gain money and use it for charity.

This might grant BGA more funds without "perverting" it with ads for everyone (as only the players who WANT the ads would see them).

Though, I do not know how complicated it would be to make it work...
reking2

Post by reking2 »

Make some special sales/discounts of the yearly membership, some % off. Just like in some special occasions. May convince a lot of people on the fence to go for it.
Estemy

Post by Estemy »

reking2 wrote:Make some special sales/discounts of the yearly membership, some % off. Just like in some special occasions. May convince a lot of people on the fence to go for it.
Great idea. Pay 2 months get 3rd for free once a year. Or 10-20% off when it's holidays (black friday deals anyone?). We use that a lot in my company and get tons of members when it's sale.

Or make a line of special support trophies (12 different every year and there will be a collect them all function included. the longer you stay meber the better one you get or the more you get).

Another idea is to add expansions/functionality to existing games and have only members gain access when they create a game. There are lots of games out there that could use some tweaking and people have offered many solutions on the forums already. For example add extra expansions to carcasonne and many other games, add jokers to machiavelli etc. Non paying members do not need access to ANY expansion. All games can be played without them, but people always want to have them. This would see the membership go up.

What if a member always had the first move (or choice for that?). It could be random if 2 or more were playing together.

Another useful feature is that when you create/join a room as member it should be on the top. Period. Perhaps it could even be that when you arent a member and, for example, Lost cities is not among the games you play but a memeber creates a room for it, 1-3 such game(s) would pop up as first rooms anyways, regardless if you play them or not. It would encourage all players to play more games and memebership since everyone wants their game to pop up in the top now and then.
Espina

Post by Espina »

Estemy wrote: What if a member always had the first move (or choice for that?). It could be random if 2 or more were playing together.
This is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Several games have a significant first player advantage. The only reason not to refuse to play them completely is that in the long run you get to be the first player half the time. I have been a member in the past, and will very likely be one again in the future, but for various reasons, I am not one right now. With a rule like you suggest I would simply refuse to play such games with members, as would anyone who realizes the disadvantage (I suppose). Result? My guess is that members will have a hard time finding people to play with.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Espina wrote:
Estemy wrote: What if a member always had the first move (or choice for that?). It could be random if 2 or more were playing together.
This is a VERY BAD IDEA.
Totally agree. Bad idea. Getting an advantage on winning the game should never be part of a paid membership. It's essentially a way to cheat, so that equates with bribery and is unethical.

As to that putting games on top thing... not a bad idea, but nothing should be on top when people don't know the game. If I only know 5 games, that leaves an awful lot of games to be on top and get in my way when I'm looking for something. That might more likely just make some people quit. Nor would I take an invitation to a game I didn't know anyway.

(And by the way, they already have expansions that are premium only.)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

It was actually other people who came up with this idea, and I pointed both of them to this thread to keep these ideas all together in one place, but apparently that was too much trouble, or something...

And that is to increase the limit on turn-based games. I don't know what incentive this might be to people, since the limit will be raised eventually anyway, so all they have to do is stay around and play and that gets solved without being a premium member. But thought I'd toss it out there.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Liallan wrote:ncrease the limit on turn-based games
This has been done (today).

Note that this was not the initial intention behind turn-based limits, but Premium players complained about this limit and we decide to listen them.
Luis_91

Post by Luis_91 »

See in my suggestion here:

https://de.boardgamearena.com/#!forum/v ... =9&t=12546

League Systems. League would attract a LOT of players to BGA. You could think about making League Participation only available for Premium Users.
nerdcanoe

Post by nerdcanoe »

How about automatic membership renewals? I just came on today and saw the countdown before playing and realized my premium membership must have run out, give me some notice so I can cancel, but otherwise, keep charging me!

Return to “Suggestions”