Confirm move in Tokaido

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
DonJuape

Confirm move in Tokaido

Post by DonJuape »

It is very easy to move by mistake in Tokaido, especially on mobile devices. Can a "confirm move" be added?
Marronigus

Re: Confirm move in Tokaido

Post by Marronigus »

I totally agree that it is very easy to make a wrong move when you play on your mobile phone and I actually stopped playing Tokaido on my mobile because of that. But it would really slow down the game a lot if you had to confirm every single move!
Morgalad

Post by Morgalad »

The general rule for we the developers in this website is try to avoid at all cost the "confirm move" function. The only case where we can use it is if it may ruin the game experience for all players due a stupid move. And I think this is not the case... I never had this issue in the pc for Tokaido, some games are just not playable on small screens due the big amounts of components.
Cheers...
Morgalad

Developer of: Incan Gold , Takara Island , Taluva and Veggie Garden
DonJuape

Post by DonJuape »

Not sure it would slow down the game play significantly, especially not for turn-based. Maybe the confirm move could be made optional to choose when de table administrator sets up the game?
And in case of Tokaido it does ruin the experience for at least the player making the unintended move.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

DonJuape wrote:Not sure it would slow down the game play significantly, especially not for turn-based. Maybe the confirm move could be made optional to choose when de table administrator sets up the game?
My guess is that would make it just that much more complicated to code it.

This has been brought up many times and overall it seems to be the choice of the site to not use such an option, even though some games do have you confirm moves. After 3 years I'm not really seeing them any closer to doing it.

I have to agree there are just some games that aren't going to work well on a small device, and this site was never geared towards that. (Though they may be trying harder to deal with that with the newest games but they can't go back and re-program all of their games.) Some don't like my attitude, but if it doesn't work well on a mobile device, then don't play on one. The game wasn't made for it. It's a bit like trying to deep fry something in a microwave. Sometimes you have to accept that maybe something is a less than optimal way to do it.
Saligo

Post by Saligo »

I have to agree with the OP. I stopped playing Tokaido on my mobile devices, because the risk of clicking on the wrong location is way too high. It happened to me earlier this week, when I wanted to zoom but instead the interface registered a move to a location I didn't want to go to. This could never happen IRL.

In fact, because of this, I would argue that adding an undo or a confirm location button would speed up the average (turn-based) game, not slow it down, because with that added feature I would play on my mobile phone and not wait several more hours to find a pc to play on. That's one extra click per turn, taking me a couple of seconds, versus me not playing at all for several hours...

OTOH, I can see this might be annoying in a real-time game. Perhaps add it as an optional feature or a feature for turn-based games only?
veme

Post by veme »

The general rule for we the developers in this website is try to avoid at all cost the "confirm move" function.
Seems like a really dumb policy considering how often it is requested.

As I've said before, confirm move should be an option in a user's settings and show up for almost every game (only exceptions are games like Jaipur where the mechanics basically force you to confirm every time), if only for people with physical disability issues. It also helps when someone makes an honest mistake that would never happen at a table, or for when my cat jumps on my keyboard or I drop my mouse.

There is literally no negative to this except for the time it takes to code it, which is what we pay you for, and I'd rather have this before more games/3D/links to music etc. Please always improve the interface and fidelity to rules before doing random cosmetic BS.
nordloc

Post by nordloc »

Saligo wrote:I have to agree with the OP. I stopped playing Tokaido on my mobile devices, because the risk of clicking on the wrong location is way too high. It happened to me earlier this week, when I wanted to zoom but instead the interface registered a move to a location I didn't want to go to. This could never happen IRL.

In fact, because of this, I would argue that adding an undo or a confirm location button would speed up the average (turn-based) game, not slow it down, because with that added feature I would play on my mobile phone and not wait several more hours to find a pc to play on. That's one extra click per turn, taking me a couple of seconds, versus me not playing at all for several hours...

OTOH, I can see this might be annoying in a real-time game. Perhaps add it as an optional feature or a feature for turn-based games only?
I agree 100% with this. Several games I've been in have been ruined because a player moved somewhere they hadn't meant to, putting them out of contention. Sometimes that player was me, sometimes an opponent. Either way, the game result felt like it was decided by the UI problems rather than player decisions, which sucks.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

Officially I work as a Software Engineer, however I've worked as a UI/UX developer in the past and still spend a lot of time on it. I can say from experience that:
The general rule for we the developers in this website is try to avoid at all cost the "confirm move" function.
is counter-productive and actually makes the user experience worse.

Never played Tokaido, don't know where you are having the issues exactly, but I'd recommend trying Quoridor on both a laptop without touch capabilities (e.g. MacBook), if you have one, and on a device with touch capabilities (e.g. smart phone). If the 'Confirm' behaviour you're looking for is similar to Quoridor, then I spent a couple of hours implementing that. Would've been less, but I'd spend too much time explaining why. Doubt it would take much longer on Tokaido.

Return to “Suggestions”