Abuse of Propose a Draw

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Metalrage

Abuse of Propose a Draw

Post by Metalrage »

I was playing my first game of Xiang Qi (Chinese Chess aka Elephant Chess) against this player e10ff3 (his profile is https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!player?id=84526441).

This person continually abused the "Propose a draw" function and refused to make a move after his position became disadvantageous. He proposed a draw without making a move 20-30 times. Every time he proposed a draw, the timer would be on me and reset.

He went on to mock me and said the game would either be a draw or I could concede. And he could propose a draw all day without having to make a move, as there was no limit to the number of times one could do it.

May I suggest limiting the propose a draw to max 1 time per move? This would prevent trolls like this fellow.
N_Faker

Re: Abuse of Propose a Draw

Post by N_Faker »

You should also report him.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:You should also report him.
And if the game ever ends, give him a red thumb. These are better actions than calling someone out by name on the forums. While I often get the response that everyone has a right to know what they are doing, anyone could accuse anybody of anything whether it's true or not. (Otherwise we revert back to the days of guilty until proven innocent.)

Keep in mind red thumbs do affect their reputation. And in a case like this, the mods should do something and take care of it. (Hopefully end your game for you, giving you the win while they're at it.)
Metalrage

Post by Metalrage »

I tried giving him a red thumb. But the system said it was his first game and disallowed it.

From conversation, it is not his first game as he purportedly has multiple accounts by his own admission.

My guess is he enjoys trolling others here by how he talks. Disabling the propose a draw to 1x per turn shld prevent him from trolling others in this manner, new account or not.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Yes, they really should do something to help with taking advantage of it. I can't speak for N_Faker, but I wasn't meaning to imply finding a way to limit draw offers should not be done. Yucata has issues with this as well. Though once per day won't work because of turn-based games - that doesn't stop them at all. But still, do report it if you haven't and see if you can at least get out of the game.

I'm convinced some people think that a draw is like conceding and don't understand it, but in your case it's obvious that player is just trying to keep from losing.
number_eight

Post by number_eight »

The same thing happened to me today. I was 1 move away from winning in Hive, so the other player kept hitting "Propose a Draw" over and over (within 1 second of me declining.) That happened 20-30 times before I realized that he had more "thinking" time left than me, so even if I kept doing this for 10 minutes, I would eventually concede.

I couldn't give a red thumb because it was this player's first game of Hive.

It seems like there could be a simple fix. Maybe you can only propose a draw once every 60 seconds, or after 3 times you have to wait 10 minutes/another move, or something like that. Or maybe when a draw is proposed, it doesn't use up the thinking time for the player it's being proposed to.
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

I suggest to remove the option "Propose a draw" when the opponent has refused for at least 1 turn, so that the player has to do a legal move before proposing the draw again.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

DrKarotte wrote:I suggest to remove the option "Propose a draw" when the opponent has refused for at least 1 turn, so that the player has to do a legal move before proposing the draw again.
This would be good and was proposed for this same issue on Yucata, and since turn-based can't be solved with "time" things, this solution works well for that as well.

I am curious how Metalrage's case got resolved. I forgot about this thread.
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

DrKarotte wrote:I suggest to remove the option "Propose a draw" when the opponent has refused for at least 1 turn, so that the player has to do a legal move before proposing the draw again.
That is actually implemented in Hive specifically, I am surprised this can happen still. If draw was refused it suppose to go to a state where
he has to do a move first.

Return to “Suggestions”