Why is chat disabled for low rep players

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Igthorn

Why is chat disabled for low rep players

Post by Igthorn »

Due to an unfortunate,unexpected and unavoidable break from bga, my reputation dropped from 100 to 7. While I completely disagree with such a severe penalty (it was caused by missing a few days in six games) i concede that it is in the rules

But now I cannot chat to players because my reputation is so low - so if someone wishes me good luck, I come across as a complete douche since I cannot respond. If I know that I will be away for a few days I make a note in the chat window- again I cannot do this.

Can that penalty be reconsidered please
Jest Phulin

Re: Why is chat disabled for low rep players

Post by Jest Phulin »

A player's reputation becomes low because they do not care enough about the people they are playing with. Granted, there are times where this seems like an unfair comparison (if I'm in the hospital fighting for my life, playing with others is a low priority), but the majority of times it is because of the personality of the player.

Often, when the personality is such that a player doesn't care about the person they are playing with, they are abusive/insulting in chat.

Abusive speech is difficult for a computer to detect. What is easier to detect is how often other players give green/red thumbs and how often a player times out/disconnects from a game compared to how many games they finish in the allotted time. Therefore, these indicators are used to determine reputation.

To limit the propagation of abusive speech, it was decided that players with a low reputation would be unable to access the chat system.

Now, having said that, yes, there are times when this system is flawed. However, it is the best system available with the resources at BGA's disposal.

Solutions:
1) Reputation raises by 1 point for each game completed in the time period. A reputation of only 30 is required to access the chat system. Play several quick games, and this level is easy to attain.

2) Suggestion for BGA: At some point at the table, automatically post the message "<player> cannot access chat due to their low reputation." This will let others know you aren't talking just out of inconsideration. This point in time could be at the start of the game, after the opponent posts a message, or when the player tries to post a message. Limits should probably be applied to the last methods; a player could be abusive by spamming the same message and in a multi-player game it would be annoying when anyone chats to have the message displayed.
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

Jest Phulin wrote:2) Suggestion for BGA: At some point at the table, automatically post the message "<player> cannot access chat due to their low reputation." This will let others know you aren't talking just out of inconsideration.
+1
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Yes it very annoying.

You can play lots of 1 player games:
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamepan ... hermopyles
to bump up your reputation.

How about some predetermined chat selection. Like:

'gg'.
'hi'.
'well played'.
'bye'
'Sorry, I cannot chat I have such low reputation atm'.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Jest Phulin wrote: 2) Suggestion for BGA: At some point at the table, automatically post the message "<player> cannot access chat due to their low reputation." This will let others know you aren't talking just out of inconsideration. .
+1
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

RicardoRix wrote:How about some predetermined chat selection.
There are already premade messages, they are even tied to you language. Click the grey star emote on the right of the chat bar.
I do not know if players with a restricted access can still use them though.
-
The player will display a red bordered message on the table screen, telling you that s/he can't chat.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:There are already premade messages, they are even tied to you language. Click the grey star emote on the right of the chat bar.
Another thing I never knew about. I think people don't realize that's there because it looks like it would lead to meeple emoticons, and that auto-messages would not occur to anyone. (er, most people)

The player will display a red bordered message on the table screen, telling you that s/he can't chat.
You must be the only one of us that's seen that. :D
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

N_Faker wrote: The player will display a red bordered message on the table screen, telling you that s/he can't chat.
I was unaware of that. I guess I don't play with the lower 0.5% of the Karma spectrum... :)

Thanks for the information.
suet63 fans club

Post by suet63 fans club »

seems there are two cases

players banned from speaking by the site (Yegor, regardless of reputation)

and players have too low reputation that they cannot speak (Deodato, low reputation)
makross

Post by makross »

How about some predetermined chat selection. Like:

'gg'.
'hi'.
'well played'.
'bye'
'Sorry, I cannot chat I have such low reputation atm'.

This is a good suggestion and it is used in Wizard101 for children under age 9 to get them used to replying to other players without bad phrasing from adults :)

Return to “Suggestions”