Translation (local) moderators

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Louis77

Translation (local) moderators

Post by Louis77 »

I think the actual translation system is nice, but it tends to generate many mistakes. Actually those mistakes have to be corrected by "official" translators (who translated at least 100 phrases) or by a post in forums.

What do you think about having a moderator per language that can control the not-yet-validated translations and manually validate them? He doesn't have to translate anything: he has only to read and flag those that are correct in his language, and discard those that have no sense in his language. If he doesn't do that, after 30 days they validate themselves as usual.

I think this system would be better and would give us all a more consistent translation of games and site.
I think many people would be glad to help doing some moderating work (10 minues a day) without any physical reward.
Liallan

Re: Translation (local) moderators

Post by Liallan »

I can think of several issues with this. (In addition to the fact that Een has always said this is a "community" effort, but that part is their business.) One is finding someone that you trust knows what they are doing, for each language. There could also be several people who would qualify for this and how do you decide who to pick? And also, that person would have to be available and have the time to make sure they're checking things, and I think you're underestimating the time.

And even if the above stuff isn't too important, one huge issue is how any one person could know everything. There are some things you can fix without knowing context or the game or rules, but many things require knowing context. It's not always easy to tell when something isn't right. I've seen many things that didn't seem to make any sense, but once you see it in context, it's fine.

In fact, sometimes I think some of the sloppiness and inconsistency comes from people just going through all the strings and not taking the time to compare it to a game log/playback or the rules. So if you want it done right, this can be time consuming... the person doing the checking still has to have knowledge about it. I think having one person (per language) who can do this, stick with it, know everything, has the time, etc. is a bit unfeasible. There are people who are happy to help fix things as they have time... and that's what they are doing now.

(Just my opinion.)

Return to “Suggestions”