Please don't require 50% "progression" to concede

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
JoshTriplett

Please don't require 50% "progression" to concede

Post by JoshTriplett »

In Backgammon at least, quite often the outcome of the game can become clear enough for someone to want to concede long before BGA thinks the game has had 50% "progression". It's frustrating to mechanically play out moves until the progression reaches that arbitrary point.
Liallan

Re: Please don't require 50% "progression" to concede

Post by Liallan »

While I get your point, I do have to say you concede Backgammon far, far too easily. You've conceded most of your recent games. Rarely in that game do I feel like I "know" I'm going to lose and there simply is not a chance for things to change. So I watched a couple of your games. In both cases, you were in a position to possibly be able to hit your opponent. In fact, in the one game I think you had a pretty good opportunity to do this and cause enough havoc to maybe slow her down enough to catch up a bit.

I don't think I would ever consider that I know enough at that point in the game to know I should concede. (Granted, some people concede more easily than others. I don't unless I honestly feel that there just is no way for me to win, and often I don't feel like that until close to the end of the game, at which point I figure I may as well finish it.) I think there are very few games that I'd feel comfortable conceding at less than 50%. (Off the top of my head, I can only think of a few circumstances where that might be the case, which is more based on circumstances than the specific game.) And yes I do get that what the system thinks is 50% may not be in reality - those %'s can be a little odd.

But I can see why they would think you need to be at least that far into the game, and you do concede very easily, far more easily than most people would. (On the other hand, I'm not sure how you conceding is hurting anyone but you.)

Return to “Suggestions”