Large screen mode?

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Daggerheart

Large screen mode?

Post by Daggerheart »

I would guess this suggestion has been posted before. But...

I play mostly on this site using my computer screen. I would love that you could choose a large screen setting in the options and get a large size version of the game, cards and stuff. Tried to play Puerto Rico here? The format are made for mobile phones. I want the option of a large and more fun to play format.... yes looks matter!
Liallan

Re: Large screen mode?

Post by Liallan »

They aren't formatted to mobile phones. This site has not been geared towards that, and only recently have I seen comments about trying to accommodate them, let alone being specifically formatted for it. Spend some time reading and you'll find far, far more complaints from mobile users than PC users. Puerto Rico is a big game with lots of stuff, so of course everything is small. I'm on a desktop PC with a widescreen monitor and I have to hover over everything to read it. Are you hovering? Have you tried zooming in?
dhnyny

Post by dhnyny »

I'm on a laptop with a 13 inch/33 cm screen and I find that there are many games that are just too difficult to play on this small screen. It would be great to be able to zoom in and out more easily. You can do this with Carcassonne, though it's pretty awkward, but not with all games. The best scenario would be to be able to have a split view, so you could see two different views, at two different zoom levels, at the same time. But that would undoubtedly be difficult to implement.
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

dhnyny wrote:It would be great to be able to zoom in and out more easily. You can do this with Carcassonne, though it's pretty awkward, but not with all games.
Have you tried using the zoom feature of your browser? (usually Ctrl + and Ctrl -) It also changes the size of the rest of the page, but this shouldn't be too annoying.
(I'm not saying that the devs shouldn't try to do something about this, I'm just giving an advice)
Daggerheart wrote:I want the option of a large and more fun to play format
Are you speaking about a different layout of the game page, that would allow you to see more elements without scrolling (no wasted space), or are you speaking about displaying bigger images, to enjoy the artwork?

Displaying different layouts for many different browser widths can be difficult (and takes time in any case) to implement for some games. (Except for displaying blocks on the right of other blocks instead of below if the window is wide enough, but this is not always the nicest dispay, and this is already the case in puerto rico: if your browser width is about 1500 px, the "Plantations & Quarries" and "Buildings supply" blocks will be displayed on the right of your board instead of below.)

As for bigger images, they use more bandwidth and are longer to download, so it's better to send them only to players who want them. And I don't know if it would be easy with the current BGA framework to send them selectively (according to browser width or user preferences).
For Puerto Rico, though, some bigger images are already downloaded, since they're displayed when hovering (placing the mouse above some of the game elements). But it would still be some work (maybe not a lot) to modify the code to display the bigger version if your browser width is large enough. The problem with browser width is that it can change, you can resize your browser window yourself, so the devs need to add some code to check when the browser is resized, to change the display if needed.
dhnyny

Post by dhnyny »

fafa-fr wrote: Have you tried using the zoom feature of your browser? (usually Ctrl + and Ctrl -) It also changes the size of the rest of the page, but this shouldn't be too annoying.
Never occurred to me. Great suggestion!

Return to “Suggestions”