Timer in Tournaments

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Daggerheart

Timer in Tournaments

Post by Daggerheart »

I have encountered that some players try to exploit that the time can run out for a player in tournaments. In one tournament I had to go up 3 times a night to make moves, not to lose by time. Had to use timer to wake me up. My opponent did only 1 move, then waited a for hours, then did one more move... it was terrible. My suggestion is that the Count Down timer stop during nighttime. At least between 00:00 until 06:00, 6 hours each night for the player....
So... if each player has totally different time zones, the time that the clock Counts Down is stopped 12 hours each 24h.
Jest Phulin

Re: Timer in Tournaments

Post by Jest Phulin »

If you had to get up in the middle of the night to respond to their moves, they had to get up in the middle of the night to respond to yours as well. You were not inconvenienced more than them.

As far as stopping time if different time zones -- This is a Bad Idea(TM) If a swiss-style tournament was set up with games lasting a week, and time was stopped, then other participants would have to wait longer than expected for a game to finish and new games to start.
Additionally, no everyone has a sleep schedule consistent with their time zones. I work from 6PM to midnight (local time), and have a sleep schedule based on that. Should it be treated differently If I play with someone 10 time zones away, who has the same sleep schedule as I do? What about someone in the same time zone, but who is different from my sleep schedule? After all, 8AM local for me is "the middle of the night."

Every tournament clearly states how much time is allotted per player for the game. Most games have a fairly narrow range of moves to make. Divide one by the other, and figure out how often a move needs to be made (on average). If you aren't comfortable with that number, don't sign up for the tournament.
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

Jest Phulin wrote:If you had to get up in the middle of the night to respond to their moves, they had to get up in the middle of the night to respond to yours as well. You were not inconvenienced more than them.
First question: do some tournament players try to exploit that timer runs out, especially if they are losing/risk losing? Yes, I believe so. I have encountered it two times now. But one of them was extreme. He monitored when I logged off and moved according to nighttime were I live. The current format opens up to exploit of time.
veme

Post by veme »

Yes, some tournament players try to exploit their time, but as Jest Phulin said:
Every tournament clearly states how much time is allotted per player for the game. Most games have a fairly narrow range of moves to make. Divide one by the other, and figure out how often a move needs to be made (on average). If you aren't comfortable with that number, don't sign up for the tournament.
The time limits for the tournament are posted. So, if someone can do this to you and run you out of time, then you joined a tournament that has a time limit which is too short for you and/or the game. Don't join tournaments like that - stick to longer time limits and you won't have this problem.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Daggerheart wrote:
Jest Phulin wrote:If you had to get up in the middle of the night to respond to their moves, they had to get up in the middle of the night to respond to yours as well. You were not inconvenienced more than them.
First question: do some tournament players try to exploit that timer runs out, especially if they are losing/risk losing? Yes, I believe so. I have encountered it two times now. But one of them was extreme. He monitored when I logged off and moved according to nighttime were I live. The current format opens up to exploit of time.
OK, in answer to your first question: Yes, in any system where there are a set of rules, there will be someone who tries to exploit loopholes in those rules. This does not mean that the rules need to be changed, though.

As to your second question: Oh, wait, there is no second question. "First XXXX" does imply a second XXXX, by the way.

But, I still see no need to change the system. Game time only applies in tournaments when the game is unfinished. If you sign up for a tournament that gives you 3.5 days of thinking time, and there are 8 times you need to move (such as a week-long Quarto tournament**), you know you need to make a move every 11 hours or so. If you make your moves in this time, even if the opponent makes their moves immediately after yours, you will still complete the game in time. If you cannot commit to the time requirements as stated, don't join the tournament.

And, going back to another statement you made: what proof do you have that someone actively monitored when you logged out, and then moved according to when it was night for you? I may be wrong, but isn't middle of the night in Norway right before work in Japan and right after work in much of the US, standard gaming times for two countries that seem to game on this site a bit? Even if they were actively monitoring you, could you have not countered this by logging off an hour earlier, waiting an hour, then logging back in to check and see if a move was needed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
** Quarto is not the only game that applies. Without going through the list of games, Elefenland, Reversi, Yahtzee, Carcassone, and Targi have a definitive number of moves (maximum) per player. Several others have a quite narrow range of turns per player.
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

Since most sleep 7 hours a night, and maybe cant make moves (maybe 1-2) at work, the hours fly. If the countdown would be stopped between 3-5 Hours each night for both players, thus potentially 6-10 hours total each 24h, the exploit would at least be reduced. No, I seriously don't think this quite natural delay will hurt tournaments.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Daggerheart wrote: My suggestion is that the Count Down timer stop during nighttime. At least between 00:00 until 06:00, 6 hours each night for the player....
[quote="Daggerheart""] If the countdown would be stopped between 3-5 Hours each night for both players, thus potentially 6-10 hours total each 24[/quote]
Um, which is it? 6 hours, per player, (12 hours stopped and 12 hours active in 24, thus doubling the time), or 10 hours (which doesn't divide up evenly)?

As discussed here and on other threads, what about the people that have non-standard work shifts? Hardly anybody in the retail or restaurant industry works office hours.
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

Jest Phulin wrote:
Daggerheart wrote: My suggestion is that the Count Down timer stop during nighttime. At least between 00:00 until 06:00, 6 hours each night for the player....
[quote="Daggerheart""] If the countdown would be stopped between 3-5 Hours each night for both players, thus potentially 6-10 hours total each 24
Um, which is it? 6 hours, per player, (12 hours stopped and 12 hours active in 24, thus doubling the time), or 10 hours (which doesn't divide up evenly)?

As discussed here and on other threads, what about the people that have non-standard work shifts? Hardly anybody in the retail or restaurant industry works office hours.[/quote]

You enjoy twisting things dont you? No I suggest at least the count down stopped at least 3 hours pr night for both players, so max 6 hour. But preferably more. 3+3 hours is a start (just 3 hours if same time zone of course). Since the clock runs also when you sleep, this is a running time you really cant avoid. Since I have seen it can be exploited, and others seen it too. It makes sense to change something.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

I'm not twisting things, just trying to set them straight. You suggested the timer be stopped from 00:00 to 06:00 for each player, then say that this is 3 hours. I'm asking for clarification.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Stalling the timer for certain periods is just a needlessly convoluted form of extra time.

It solves nothing.

Return to “Suggestions”