Abandon

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
ollyfish2002

Abandon

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Hello
Suggestion: as quitting or being out of time are recorded and sanctioned, can we have the same system for abandon?
Too many players abuse for gaining ELO. Abandonning more than once a day is cheating. If you have a good reason for abandon, then you will have to wait 1 day. 2 times a day, you are sanctioned by losing Karma or ELO as administrators want.
What do you think ?
N_Faker

Re: Abandon

Post by N_Faker »

How is abandoning games used to gain ELO?

So your proposed idea is that abandoning games has a limit.
Once one player has reached this limit and he plays with someone that has not reached this limit.
Are they both forbidden from abandoning the game?
How will these ELO and/or Karma penalties be applied?

Are you voicing this suggestion because of Hanabi?
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

The only way abandon can be abused to gain ELO is in co-op games, and frankly rankings are meaningless in co-op games. :/
Schtitn

Post by Schtitn »

hello there,

I find more and more players who abandon at the last turn.
For "saving time" they say...
I think they don't like to see final score !
But in most game, the end can be analysed for improving the knowledge about the game.
I don't care about penalty or whatever but would like to suggest : it should be impossible to abandon a game at 99%.
Silene

Post by Silene »

Interesting point @Schtitn. But you're talking about conceding (1 player can do that without permission in a 2p-game). But this thread is about abandoning (collective decision by all players). There are several threads about conceding - can you post your point there?
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
mtl

Post by mtl »

So many players propose to abandon collectively on Hanabi that it's absolutely ridiculous.

The moment there is one small mistake, he/she/they propose(s) to collectively abandon the game. It becomes petty and isn't an enjoyable experience. Mistakes happen and/or sometimes it's an extremely difficult deck. Usually when I ask "why" they don't respond. When I click the NO option some will actually sabotage the game (i.e. delete a card with a 5 hint) so now I just click YES because there is no point discussing the issue.

This is cheating and manipulating the system.

BGA should:
- as ollyfish2002 states, put a limit on how many times one can abandon a game in a day;
- penalize those that do so excessively via Karma points and/or
- show the # of times abandoning was initiated by the user in a visible way (like time-out)

From personal observation, I'd say that, especially, many high ELO users take advantage of this option and abuse the system, which is probably why and how they have such a high ELO score.

For hanabi, ELO doesn't even matter that much. Perhaps BGA could hide the # and just show the colour of ELO. Some users care too much about the # next to their ELO and are flat-out rude, disrespectful and mean to low/mid ELO players which I've also seen many times, unfortunately :(

Return to “Suggestions”