Option to disable the chatfilter and its associated pop-ups

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
N_Faker

Option to disable the chatfilter and its associated pop-ups

Post by N_Faker »

The chatfilter is frankly quite obnoxious. An option to disable the pop-up warning and the visibility of the attached message would be wonderful.

"Insult? Aggressive attitude? Please do not respond or you will be moderated too. Block this player (thumb down) and report him/her to moderators."
^This message is also quite large, which impacts the quite small chat window.
ckwatt

Re: Option to disable the chatfilter and its associated pop-ups

Post by ckwatt »

Thanks, N_Faker for bringing this issue up! The chat "warning" is indeed quite annoying, especially when having a long chat with other players. There seems to be a long list of words that trigger the warning, often with no apparent rhyme or reason to it. Words such as "loser" set it off, which makes it hard to discuss options on some games "loser starts next round", etc. Others such as "hole" make no sense at all. On the other hand, we have had many a good laugh over the absurdity of it all.

Furthermore, the wording of the message is a bit off, and seems to directly instruct the reader to block and report the "culprit". It needs to be phrased differently.

In any case, I would wholeheartedly support the option of disabling the entire thing.

Furthermore, there should be a limit the times that message can come up. In the end it is just advice telling people that they are able to give thumbs or report - something that we should all know after the first couple of messages. We don't need to see it over and over again.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

ckwatt wrote:Furthermore, the wording of the message is a bit off, and seems to directly instruct the reader to block and report the "culprit". It needs to be phrased differently.
Thanks for bringing this up. The string for this message is in the translation system, but it does not appear to update.

"Is this provocative or an insult? Please do NOT engage if it is. You may want to block this player with a red thumb and/or report them to the moderators."
^This is the current version. Still needs work, and should preferably be shorter.
-
Some have taken the message quite literally and reported people for the most benign words in the filter. While most understand that not everything that triggers the filter should be reported, some won't. And others still will use it as an excuse to send frivolous reports.

Example report: https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!report? ... r=84478714
Last edited by N_Faker on 15 August 2018, 06:46, edited 2 times in total.
Otithes

Post by Otithes »

I agree. The message is annoying and makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten. I don't go around insulting people, but swearwords are a natural part of human language, and when I play with friends, I like to be able to speak freely without some nanny program slapping me on the wrist each time I say a faintly negative word.

In addition, as the previous post said, the chat filter trips over all sorts of perfectly innocent words. And it only works for English anyway, which means that English-speaking players have to "behave" but everyone else can say whatever they want.

To sum it up: the filter is annoying, it doesn't work well, and it discriminates against English speakers.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

And another point.

Most who have encountered this filter have started to add spaces or replace single letters to the offending words as to avoid the filter. Or they just swear, curse and insult in another language instead.

This filter will likely not even trigger for most of those who should be moderated already. And it is just a bother for most others.
-
Leaving it on as default should serve its purpose by warning people that BGA is quite strict on such words, so disallowing beginner accounts from disabling it should be good enough.
kooolant

Post by kooolant »

Yes, it would be a good idea to at least allow the chat filter to be disabled if all players on the table agree to it.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

kooolant wrote:Yes, it would be a good idea to at least allow the chat filter to be disabled if all players on the table agree to it.
What, no. That is silly.

I mean disabling it only as far as removing the visibility of the message and the popup from those who have it disabled. Anyone who still has it enabled should still have the popup and the associated message on posts that trigger them. Preferably.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:This filter will likely not even trigger for most of those who should be moderated already. And it is just a bother for most others.
This is a good point. Things like this never really seem to work the way in which they were intended.

And in general, I don't like babysitters. And I don't like things that replace individual responsibility, i.e. if you personally have an issue with what someone is doing, take the responsibility to report it, or at least ignore them. And it does seem like something that would encourage people to report without reason.
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

Of course there could be different options, but there should definitely be options. I hope this issue is addressed sometime soon.
Caffe Latte

Post by Caffe Latte »

Playing o hell it is hard to talk like how long have you been playing o hell. In bubble pop we discussed green ballsfalling often. Every time there was this warning. Like we being narcobarons discussing whom to betonate next :D
And will not even mention remarks like "what an idiot (or fool) was I for this silly mistake" etc.

Return to “Suggestions”