The thumb system issues

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
cogitoergosum87

The thumb system issues

Post by cogitoergosum87 »

Hi,

I play mainly on turn-based games and am not too avid a thumber to either direction. I usually only even think of giving green thumbs to players when I need to give a red thumb to a player - which is really not that often. The thing is, I often cannot give one, because of the green thumb ratio and because the time limitation to give one after playing with a person is ridiculously short.

For example, I wanted to give a green thumb to a player that I've often played with in turn-based game, but according to your system, I had "not played with them recently" even though the game had ended just 2 days ago.

I do not understand how this is supposed to work. I do not find it very purposeful to hand out green thumbs to most people. Only if I know the player from many non-troublesome games I consider this. Yet, you're forcing my hand because of the ratio rule and after all this I'm told 2 days ago is not recently enough to give a thumb to someone.

Are there some specific reasons to all these rules? Could you logic them out for me to understand? If not, then at least change something so that personal red thumbs (that don't even affect the player's rep) are not dependent on how many green thumbs I've handed out. Or change the system to include longer time periods for thumbing and take into account how many times you've played with someone.

Best,
cogito
Jest Phulin

Re: The thumb system issues

Post by Jest Phulin »

The logic to the "you haven't played with them recently" is probably a hold-over from when the site was entirely real-time, and no turn-based games were available. A game would end, and all players would still be at the table and presented with the opportunity to give red/green thumbs to others.

With a standard option on turn-based games being one move every two days, this means that some players only check in about every 48 hours. With that, I agree that the time period to give thumbs should be extended to be at least that long.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Actually, the delay was 48 hours.

We are going to extend it to 7 days following your message. We are also going to exclude the "personal" red thumb from the "you didn't give enough green thumb" system.

A delay is needed, however. Primarily because it's a protection against a player that creates 50 accounts and gives you 50 red thumbs from his 50 account. And it's not a big deal since there is practically no reason to give a red thumb if you didn't play with this player.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

sourisdudesert wrote:....l since there is practically no reason to give a red thumb if you didn't play with this player.
Unless they have repeatedly shown themselves in the forums to be someone you don't want to spend time with...

There are a few people that have annoyed me on the forums to the point that I don't want to be trapped in a game with them, and I'm sure there are more than a few people that I've annoyed. We have interacted enough to know we don't want to interact anymore, even though we have never been at the same game table. A private red thumb should be available to prevent us from accidentally winding up at the same table.

Return to “Suggestions”