new trophies

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
padokais

new trophies

Post by padokais »

Hello everyone,
I was thinking about new trophies.
The first one could be named "best ratio" for the first, the second, the third, the first five, the first ten and the first twenties to give to the ones who have the better ratio victory versus defeat (or victory versus games played). This trophy could be applied to any game (even hanabi)

The second is more interesting and could be names "best series" for people who have the best series of victory without any defeat. In my opinion it cant be a ranking so it will be a trophy earn for 5, 10 and 50 victories without any defeat. For each defeat you lose the trophy and your series start again at 0.

Maybe it was already suggested. My apologies if it is!
ollyfish2002

Re: new trophies

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Hello
It could be interesting without cheaters : playing against themself will allow cheaters to spoil your proposal.
Maybe as the site and the number of games played has increased, just create trophies to higher numbers.
At the moment, last trophies are at 500 games played, 100th victory and Top20.
Maybe going to 1000, 5000 games or victories and Top 50, Top 100 could be rewarded.
my2p
dudi2

Post by dudi2 »

The ratio trophy in my opinion makes only sense if is awarded on top of the "100 games played", "200 games played" or "500 games played" trophy. With to less played games the ranking would be filled up by cheaters playing against own accounts. Another possibility would be to set ratio trophies only to people who played a specific game against at least 50 different opponents.

What about a trophy for playing against lots of diffent players.
- played game_displayed against 5 diffent players
- played game_displayed against 20 diffent players
- played game_displayed against 50 diffent players
- played game_displayed against 100 diffent players
- played game_displayed against 200 diffent players
- played game_displayed against 500 diffent players
padokais

Post by padokais »

You both probably right but in my opinion the cheaters problem will occurs only on the beginning. They cant play many games vs themselves. Introduce an other parameter as played game against X people could be relevant and interesting for an other trophy but it also induce an other database information which is not especially easy to implement.
eoc

Post by eoc »

Even without considering cheaters, we'd be creating a huge incentive here for good players to beat up average or new players -- who are supposedly the more easy prey to increase your win-ratio or keep your win-streak alive compared to players on your own level. I don't think this builds a great environment for enjoying games played on BGA, so most likely trophies related to winning percentage or the like would have to enforce a "minimum level" of the player you go up against to actually count as proper win. At this point they become too complicated in my opinion.

Adding a higher tier of the capped-out pure numbers trophies sounds good to me however, perhaps "Top X" could scale with how much player activity one particular game sees over a certain timespan. For games that are rarely played, it's both easier to achieve high ranking positions and to stay in the ranking once there. Introducing some kind of percentage for ranking placement could be something to look at!
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

eoc wrote:Even without considering cheaters, we'd be creating a huge incentive here for good players to beat up average or new players -- who are supposedly the more easy prey to increase your win-ratio or keep your win-streak alive compared to players on your own level. I don't think this builds a great environment for enjoying games played on BGA, so most likely trophies related to winning percentage or the like would have to enforce a "minimum level" of the player you go up against to actually count as proper win. At this point they become too complicated in my opinion.

Adding a higher tier of the capped-out pure numbers trophies sounds good to me however, perhaps "Top X" could scale with how much player activity one particular game sees over a certain timespan. For games that are rarely played, it's both easier to achieve high ranking positions and to stay in the ranking once there. Introducing some kind of percentage for ranking placement could be something to look at!
I pretty much agree with this. Unfortunately these things are already true. Getting a trophy for number of wins is already an incentive to "beat up" average or new players. At the same time, that does not help one's ELO much, so I guess it depends which thing is more important to a particular player. I'm just not sure that I see where percentage of wins is more incentive than just number of wins.

And yes, it's easier to achieve a high ranking on seldom played games, even with a less than fabulous ELO. So rank 100 and such seems silly for those games. Even top 10 seems silly for certain games. But... out of all these ideas, making ones for a higher number of wins or top 100 player, etc. would be the only one I'd be interested in. (Actually, I'm not much interested in trophies to begin with, except maybe the top ones, like top 10 player, most wins, those sorts. I suppose number of games plays can encourage people to play more... but is that a good or a bad thing? LOL.)
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Perhaps a top 1%, 5%, and 10%, with the percentage based on how many different accounts played a particular game in the previous time period -- month, 3 months, 6 months, year, etc.

And, there will always be people who value prestige over fun play, and people who value fun play over prestige. No system will prevent gaming the system, with or without explicitly breaking posted rules.

Return to “Suggestions”