Decrease ranking each day.

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
poichich

Decrease ranking each day.

Post by poichich »

Hi, I don't know if this has been suggested yet but the search butt on doesn't work on mobile.
From what I notice many players don't move from ranking once they reach a certain level. I suggest to decrease the level each day of 10 points if they don't play the game one or two times a day

This will force some of them to accept getting challenged by other.

Poichich
Lotus Blossom

Re: Decrease ranking each day.

Post by Lotus Blossom »

Once or twice a day?! What if you play a lot of different games? I am ranked on at least two dozen games, don't expect me to play that many every day!

Besides, if you don't play for a while, you become unranked though still get to keep your elo
poichich

Post by poichich »

Of course once or twice a day. You don't loose all your points... only 10. Enough to put you out of top 10 if you play turtle. May be you are on many games, but you can't keep the top for yourself if you don't play the game enough to get challenged.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Just to let you know, this has been discussed quite often, most recently about 6 months ago.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!forum/v ... =3&t=12936
poichich

Post by poichich »

Jest Phulin wrote:Just to let you know, this has been discussed quite often, most recently about 6 months ago.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!forum/v ... =3&t=12936
Thanks you are right !

But from what i understand, nothing has been done for this. Their idea to reset the ELO every season is nice too, i really hope they will do something about this. if ELO is important to players, so they have to earn it by facing opponents. If it's not so they don't mind if it's reduced.
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

poichich wrote:Of course once or twice a day. You don't loose all your points... only 10. Enough to put you out of top 10 if you play turtle. May be you are on many games, but you can't keep the top for yourself if you don't play the game enough to get challenged.
One or twice a day is way too much. One or twice per month would be more just.
And why should people lose points? If you don't play for long enough you lose your ranking.
It seems to be a way of trying to climb the ranks by not really being better then the people that are above you. You just have more time I guess. This is a gaming site, not work :P
poichich

Post by poichich »

Cappie wrote:
poichich wrote:Of course once or twice a day. You don't loose all your points... only 10. Enough to put you out of top 10 if you play turtle. May be you are on many games, but you can't keep the top for yourself if you don't play the game enough to get challenged.
And why should people lose points? If you don't play for long enough you lose your ranking.
It seems to be a way of trying to climb the ranks by not really being better then the people that are above you. You just have more time I guess. This is a gaming site, not work :P
nop if you don,'t play for long enough you don't loose anything. Why should you keep your rank in a game you don't play enough?
The fact is on some game, it may have been easy in the past to get a lot of points not now.

But i understand that on some game once or twice a day is too much, this is for fast game such as solo etc where people plays many times a day. On long game it should be different may be loose 10points if you don't play during a week should be enough.

All i want is to make "strong" players be more challenged by other instead of hiding in order to keep a rank may be they don't deserve anymore.
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

poichich wrote:
Cappie wrote:
nop if you don,'t play for long enough you don't loose anything. Why should you keep your rank in a game you don't play enough?
The fact is on some game, it may have been easy in the past to get a lot of points not now.

But i understand that on some game once or twice a day is too much, this is for fast game such as solo etc where people plays many times a day. On long game it should be different may be loose 10points if you don't play during a week should be enough.

All i want is to make "strong" players be more challenged by other instead of hiding in order to keep a rank may be they don't deserve anymore.
Strong players can't hide. They have to play or they loose there ranking. Not the points, thats true. But why should you lose points? Do you get worse?

The question has to be, why should you lose points in a game you don't play very much? Because who decides what is "not enough play"?

And I don't know how you state that on some games it may have been easy to get a lot of points as a fact?
poichich

Post by poichich »

Je vais l'exprimer en français car c'est plus simple pour moi
Si tu ne joues plus, tu ne perds pas de points. Si tu ne perds pas de points, il y a peu de chances que tu baisses au classement, pour la simple raison que ce classement reflète plus le ratio de victoires que le nombre de victoires. Les points gagnés et perdus varient en fonction des adversaires que l'on a en face et de nos classements respectifs. Plus tu montes dans le classement, moins tu gagnes de points en cas de victoires du coup, un joueur qui joue et gagne beaucoup, a aussi (dans les jeux avec une part de hasard) plus de chance de perdre des points et donc de stagner... gagner 2 fois sur 3 c'est très bien, mais si la victoire ne te rapporte que 3 points et la défaite t'en fais perdre 10, sans augmenter le ratio de victoire c'est délicat de grimper.
De plus, au fil des parties, les joueurs avancent, progressent. Donc pour les joueurs de maintenant il est plus difficile de grimper que pour ceux d'avant, car ne serait-ce qu'entre eux, le niveau a bien progressé.

Quand je suis arrivé ici il y a 2 mois, j'ai commencé sur Alvéole, un jeu que j'ai connu sur une autre plateforme. Il y avait pas mal de monstres à ce jeux sur l'autre plateforme, des gens qui commencent à connaitre BGA et viennent ici pour se re-tester. Ma première partie je l'ai faite contre le leader, qui a failli perdre et m'a accusé d'être le créateur du jeu sur BGA qui vient en compte masqué pour le défier lui. Depuis, je suis blacklisté et le leader en question bloque la plupart des bons joueurs et campe sur son classement, d'un jeu ou il n'a que peu d'activité. La numéro 2 par exemple joue énormément, avec tout le monde, gagne beaucoup mais la moindre défaite ruine le peu qu'elle ait gagné, et surtout son niveau est meilleur que le leader.
Avec une mesure ou les points baissent avec l'inactivité, cela oblige le top du classement à jouer et donc se confronter avec d'autres joueurs s'ils veulent rester en place. S'ils se cachent, alors pas de soucis, mais leur classement baisse.

Pour savoir la fréquence qui détermine si c'est 1 ou 2 partie par jour, il suffit de regarder la durée estimée des parties, et la moyenne des parties par joueur.

Pourquoi vouloir rester au classement d'un jeu ou je ne suis plus actif et ou mon classement ne reflète pas forcément mon niveau actuel comparé à celui des autres?

Dans certains jeux courts (je ne peux parler que de ceux que je connais), le top 10 joue peu voire pas du tout : exemple solo : 1 partie en ces 3 derniers mois pour le leader. Et encore pour ce dernier, j'ai eu la chance d'être l'opposant.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

ELO rating is to say how good you are at the game, not how frequently you play.

If you want to increase your rating then get better at winning. Not surprisingly this is EXACTLY what all the people above you in ELO have done.
You can still play active players and gain ELO rating points.

If you don't play frequently (within the last 2 months) then you become unranked. There is nothing broken here, everything works as it should.

Return to “Suggestions”