Separate Hannabi 2p and 3p+ ranking

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Pistolero

Separate Hannabi 2p and 3p+ ranking

Post by Pistolero »

Hannabi at 2 players and Hannabi at 3 and more players are completely different games. Some people win huge ELO points at 2p game and then come at 3p as Master while they actually don't understand the 3p game at all.

It would only improve the quality of the 3p games (which is the real game!) if two different rankings existed.
ollyfish2002

Re: Separate Hannabi 2p and 3p+ ranking

Post by ollyfish2002 »

+1
Silene

Post by Silene »

I think it's not that important to seperate these, if ELO was realistic. Sadly 2p-player ELO often is not realistic because 2p games get abandonned without elo-penalty excessively (20-30% or more by some players). On 3+ games that rate is much lower.

I would adress the problem by giving a ELO-penalty for abandoning co-op games.
(you can only abandon when your opponent agrees. But in co-op games your opponent is the game and the game does not agree imo. So you can only concede and that means you should lose elo)
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
qpenguin

Post by qpenguin »

Silene wrote: 16 May 2019, 11:14 I would adress the problem by giving a ELO-penalty for abandoning co-op games.
(you can only abandon when your opponent agrees. But in co-op games your opponent is the game and the game does not agree imo. So you can only concede and that means you should lose elo)
+1
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

It's the same for most of the game.
While 4+ players is more easy to understand : you try to do the most point possible,
2p is way more difficult : you try to do the most point and you try to reduce the most point to your opponent,
while 3p is a mix between the two : and can be unfair in some situation if you have one begginner and 2 masters since the two masters should play against the other master

Hanabi is an 'exception' since it's a coop based game (but have the same problems with elo).
But lots of game are really difficult to play at 3+ players since they have not much popularity.

But a different ranking for 2p game and 3+ one should be good for lots of game. But then, I'm afraid the elo hunters would play only 3 players game for reduce the rng part, when some game was balanced to play at 7 (saboteur per example).

Return to “Suggestions”