Option to anonymize in-game players

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
N_Faker

Option to anonymize in-game players

Post by N_Faker »

Removing any identifying player information from the in-game table in games with 3 or more players should remove or reduce any inherent bias that may affect the game. This should probably be coupled with a disabled chat.

Games like 'Love Letter' and 'Djambi' should benefit greatly from such an option.
nmego

Re: Option to anonymize in-game players

Post by nmego »

Absolutely!
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

That doesn't make any sense. The point is to play against people. Adapting your tactics because you know who the person is from playing with them before is part of the game. Otherwise you might as well just play against AI...
Schtitn

Post by Schtitn »

I totally agree with CB Droege
I see what you mean N_Faker.
Becoming a great player at a game it is also learn to fight one against all.
When you discover Djambi it's such amazing this kind of game without any luck ! Then it appears that the game is entirely about diplomacy. That's the wisdom of Djambi. And in my opinion why it have to be played IRL despite its chesslike form!
Your proposal is an option so freedom for all !
But let's dig it : this means no filter by range or experience so you will take the risk to play against newbies without knowing it. And for me this information is more valuable than hiding its own level
Caffe Latte

Post by Caffe Latte »

I recall having read this suggestion here before.

Well, I must admit among several otherwise equal choices a player with highest elo is chosen as victim - both to ruin strongest player winning chance and to benefit from his/her elo. Love letter is a typical example.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Schtitn wrote: 04 June 2019, 10:22But let's dig it : this means no filter by range or experience so you will take the risk to play against newbies without knowing it. And for me this information is more valuable than hiding its own level
Only the in-game has to be anonymized, this suggestion does not extend to the table creation itself.
CB Droege wrote: 04 June 2019, 08:53 That doesn't make any sense. The point is to play against people. Adapting your tactics because you know who the person is from playing with them before is part of the game. Otherwise you might as well just play against AI...
Does a person lose their personhood solely by the fact that you can't easily identify them? Do you have to actively know who the specific players are to enjoy a game with them?

You still get to play against people. You still get to adapt your tactics depending on previous games. You just don't get to easily target players based on who they are.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

There are 2 sides:

Firstly, in the real world, you know who your opponents are. BGA AKAIF try to simulate the real board game experience. Probably the #1 reason why it should remain so.

You can and should be able to adapt your tactics against who you are playing against, that is part of the game and part of strategy and tactics.

Unfortunately, as already pointed out, for games that easily pick targets, given an equal, or near equal choice then there can be some bias based on ELO rating. I have played 2 games of werewolf and already have a very high ELO rating, purely by default and luck. You can bet in my 3rd game, there is a much higher than normal chance I will be eliminated in the 1st round.
Shaq Jenkins

Post by Shaq Jenkins »

I think BGA should definitely have this option.

I played a very frustrating game of Legendary Inventors recently, where it was clear that the other players were targeting me because my ELO is high. In many cases, they were making moves that didn't benefit them because they were more concerned about beating me than they were about winning the game for themselves. I've seen this happen frequently in Colt Express and Love Letter. Multiplayer games that involve cooperation or targeted attacks would benefit from anonymous usernames. Some people play for ELO points instead of for the win.

Slightly off topic: this is why, when it comes to games where my ELO is high, I strongly prefer playing against people with ELO close to mine, but it's nearly impossible to in 4+ player games. I really wish Expert+ players would join my 4 player Legendary Inventors tables. Sigh.
Schtitn

Post by Schtitn »

I understand how it can be frustrating to be the target to bit in a game.
But i look for it !
Isn't it what Elo and range is about ? Becoming a strong player, show it to the world so everybody want a win against you.
If you are very high in elo in a game, you have to assume your status!
Ok that changes gameplay of most games but it is the interest : some differences regarding who you play with.
Even a good AI would adapt from your gameplay, that's part of the fun.
Ok in some multi player or cooperation game the game can lose interest because you know that there no way to avoid losing.
And it can be hard to find enough players with close elo.
But for me, i just don't want to play with players without knowing their level. And in my opinion it is unfair to play against newbies without showing your hard experience.
I'm not against this option (more options = more freedom!) but i fear that this will divise players in 2 groups so less tables available, more hard to find opponents and maybe hard frustration for beginners
In addition Elo take part in the communication during a game. you don't hear messages the same way regarding the level of who is speaking...

I don't understand the benefit of this option if you maintain filter by level. Nobody knows that one players is strongest than the others ? ok but others have elo to lose if they are targeting a player. I thought the interest of the option was to play against players with big difference of elo without being targeting with no risk by low elo players. With filter, that matter disappears.

As a conclusion : this option means that level of ALL players are hided in the site so that's a big change ! :)
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Schtitn wrote: 07 June 2019, 07:42 As a conclusion : this option means that level of ALL players are hided in the site so that's a big change ! :)
No... I don't understand how you even arrive at that conclusion.

In addition to removing or lessening the likeliness of being targeted in favor of another because of meta-information. This should also make it easier for users, who frequently play with each other, to avoid biased plays when playing with strangers.

Return to “Suggestions”