The next great leap forward: auctions for opening seats

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Rex Goodheart

The next great leap forward: auctions for opening seats

Post by Rex Goodheart »

So very important in tournament competition, for example, in turn-order games such as Puerto Rico and For Sale.

Display the opening cards then auction the seats. High bidder gets first choice, next highest gets second choice, and so on.

As it stands, Puerto Rico is deadly to the person sitting in the second seat. It's a well-known and well-discussed flaw of the game.
shadowphiar

Re: The next great leap forward: auctions for opening seats

Post by shadowphiar »

What in this scenario are people bidding with? Some in-game resource? ELO? Real money?
Rex Goodheart

Post by Rex Goodheart »

shadowphiar wrote: 16 October 2019, 14:56 What in this scenario are people bidding with? Some in-game resource? ELO? Real money?
Victory points.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

I mean they have this for several games already. I think it needs to be done on a game by game basis. ForSale is super luck heavy and a fairly light game, so I don't see much benefit to it. I mean round 1 becomes less random but unless you know every round ahead of time you can't plan a whole lot accurately. Plus ForSale has a big issue depending on how the people in front or behind you play as that usually dictates your success. The player that always jumps the bid up helps the person right before them while hurting the one right after. While the person who usually only ups a bid by 1 helps the person after and hurts the person before.

Puerto Rico an auction option would probably be good as that is a low luck game. Similar to what terra mystica and clans of Caledonia have.

Return to “Suggestions”