A Resign Button

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
juss100

A Resign Button

Post by juss100 »

It's pretty standard in Chess to resign a lost position and move on without having to play it out. I understand that rage quitters ruin games and should be penalised but I'm currently finding myself having to play out 3 lap games of Rallyman where I'm stuck at the back of a 6 car pack after some stupid crashes and I've lost and that's ok. Surely an option to not take more moves is reasonable here? Maybe if one offers to concede and everyone accepts and play just continues and that person is credited as coming in 6th or last or whatever? I'm certainly hit going to quit and ruin the competition for others, though.
N_Faker

Re: A Resign Button

Post by N_Faker »

When in a game:
Menu button to the top right > Concede the game
megamau

Post by megamau »

The problem is that in tournament games and Arena games this option is blocked for some reason.
In my view in 2 players games, it should be allowed to concede at any time.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Also, the suggestion is for games in which several people (not just one opponent) are still playing.

There are problems with this. Programming an AI to make reasonable moves is a large undertaking in most games. Programming to make the first (or a random) legal move leads to other problems. Simply removing them from play upsets several games that have balance mechanisms based on number of players.

While it may not be enjoyable for one person, the total sum of enjoyment tends to be greatest when all players compete until the end.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Jest Phulin wrote: 02 August 2020, 19:59 Also, the suggestion is for games in which several people (not just one opponent) are still playing.
The suggestion started with the premise that it is standard in Chess to be able to resign.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

N_Faker wrote: 02 August 2020, 23:04
Jest Phulin wrote: 02 August 2020, 19:59 Also, the suggestion is for games in which several people (not just one opponent) are still playing.
The suggestion started with the premise that it is standard in Chess to be able to resign.
Agreed. It was probably poor to start with an example of a 2-player game (of which a concede option is already available) and extend that to a more-than-two-player game.
nmego

Post by nmego »

Jest Phulin wrote: 02 August 2020, 19:59 There are problems with this. Programming an AI to make reasonable moves is a large undertaking in most games. Programming to make the first (or a random) legal move leads to other problems. Simply removing them from play upsets several games that have balance mechanisms based on number of players.
Isn't there already a similar functionality implemented? When a player quits, their turns get played automatically.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

nmego wrote: 03 August 2020, 10:58 Isn't there already a similar functionality implemented? When a player quits, their turns get played automatically.
Only kinda for some games. But in general, if a player leaves, it is pointless to continue.
juss100

Post by juss100 »

Jest Phulin wrote: 03 August 2020, 01:46
N_Faker wrote: 02 August 2020, 23:04
Agreed. It was probably poor to start with an example of a 2-player game (of which a concede option is already available) and extend that to a more-than-two-player game.
I agree, it was. I kinda forgot that you can quit 2 player games - though I'd argue the option should be there clearly onscreen where all players actually know about it.
megamau wrote: 02 August 2020, 15:07 The problem is that in tournament games and Arena games this option is blocked for some reason.
In my view in 2 players games, it should be allowed to concede at any time.
Similarly I hadn't realised this, so this makes my point about Chess relevant again!

Return to “Suggestions”