Colour Blind Settings?

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Een

Re: Colour Blind Settings?

Post by Een »

mlytthouse wrote: 05 December 2020, 00:50 I too am color blind and struggle with coloretto. I understand that we don't want to change what the game publisher has provided. However, something that would be nice is to have a pop-up/hover-over tool tip kind of box appear over the card in Coloretto to tell the person what color the card (or meeple) is in text... Blue, Green, Gray etc.

Maybe this could even be added as an option that one could set in their preferences. So the hover-over, tool tip could be enable/disabled based on preference

Thank you for your consideration in this matter
A lot of games, including coloretto, have colour blindness taken into account by the publisher in the game art (for coloretto, it's the card background that has a recognizable pattern).

On some games where such hints are not present (such as Color Pop) we have made an player preference available. But it's of course specific to each game, and depends on the developer for the game.

As I have learned along the way, there are also many specific types of colour blindness, so probably it's not possible to take this into account fully even with a lot of resources. Aren't there some specific browser tools/plugins allowing to tweak websites or screen colour spaces in general to help with this?
compte obelète

Post by compte obelète »

asd123321 wrote: 23 November 2020, 03:11 Try setting your color preferences.

https://boardgamearena.com/preferences?section=playing
Because there also the other player(s) that could choose those not well-visible colors for them. So you can't just say that.
Lymon Flowers

Post by Lymon Flowers »

I have a suggestion.

In Downforce, I wanted to implement a color-blind mode but finally thought it would be enough to propose a tooltip to differentiate between cars. But user feedback proved that it was not enough. On the game I am developing, discussion with the game designer showed that even for non-color blind, color was sometimes an issue. So we decided to tweak the colors a bit, but still, I know that color-blind people will struggle to differentiate between some tiles because of the unfortunate initial decisions of the publisher.

So I considered implementing a color-blind option on both of my games. But that is not satisfying: color blind people will need to check the option on both of my games. If game developers start implementing such options, that would mean poor UX because of inconsistencies in the naming and in the fact that color blind people will not even know that such options exists in random games because they are not present in others.

Of course, there are browsers tools to enhance this, but they can't do everything, like changing the color of a sprite background (shared with other sprites). Game developers could just use an additional option in order to layer symbols on the sprites with two lines of CSS. Moreover, we can't expect users to change the CSS of the site because they have disabilities.

I think that the only (cheap) way to implement this is to provide a user setting that all the game backends will be aware of, much like the color preferences or the columns layout. That way, I think most color-blind people would look at the preferences for such an option and select it. Of course, such an option should be labeled something like "Activate color-blind mode for games that support it". The studio doc would need to be updated.

So, it would be up to game developers to implement whatever color blind mode they would see fit. Same could be achieved for high contrast. Of course, this would not address all disabilities, but still, it would be a somewhat cheap improvement to develop for the BGA site (and the game developers would decide on the amount of work they want to put into this if relevant).

What do you think?

If the BGA admins do not think this worth it, I will of course implement this in my games, but I think this idea would be much more efficient if implemented site-wise.
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

bdrieu wrote: 17 December 2020, 23:35 What do you think?
I think it would be an excellent thing.
compte obelète

Post by compte obelète »

I think whit what i just provide, i fix two thing at the same time (colourblindness and favorite colours)

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=17601
Lymon Flowers

Post by Lymon Flowers »

To elaborate on my proposal, here is what I have done on my upcoming adaptation:

This screenshot has been made with a tool simulating color blindness (there are several color-blindness simulated). With the color-blind option selected, some shapes are added with pure CSS on top of tokens. Overall, it costed me about 20 CSS rules and a game preference. No PHP nor JS code at all.

This is crude and can probably be improved, I am waiting for feedback from color blind users but I am very satisfied with that non-obtrusive approach and the time spend to implement this option (less than an hour).
KAS-Boston

Post by KAS-Boston »

I wonder if there can be an option for color blind people to turn on, where the name of the color (or a single letter) is written next to each line of a card, and on top of the car. R, Y, O, Bl, G, Bk

Return to “Suggestions”