Takenoko option for rule variant

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
D3adkl0wn

Takenoko option for rule variant

Post by D3adkl0wn »

Currently in Takenoko BGA forces the optional rule variant rule which does not allow a player to pick up cards that are already completed on the board (i.e.,plot cards.) I think that this should be optional. A player shouldn't be penalized because he had the foresight to begin building plot patterns prior to getting the cards. It's a legitimate strategy to start slow and put out lands, then focus on irrigation and pulling plot cards to speed run a victory. The game does not stop a player with a collection of bamboo in their possession from picking a Panda card or a gardener card in there is already the needed amount grown on the board.. at least it didn't stop me.. only the plot cards seemed to be locked into this rule.
lakers4evr

Re: Takenoko option for rule variant

Post by lakers4evr »

The BGA variant does not allow you to pick completed gardener cards either. Panda is okay (I suspect because if it wasn't allowed, everyone would just keep 2 greens at all times to skip all the cheap green Panda cards).

I agree that playing the advanced rules should be optional. But even if it wasn't, I think the system should tell you which objective card you picked up, that was not usable. This gives the player information about what cards are not in other player's hands. And in the tabletop version, even playing with the advanced rules, the player who picks up the unusable objective card would obviously have to see it first to determine that it was unusable. There isn't a gamemaster who just hangs out to peek at objective cards to make sure they're legal.

As it stands, you can go through an entire deck of objective cards (usually plots after they're all irrigated), none of which are usable, but you wouldn't know it unless you counted how many times BGA rejected your attempt to get a card of that type.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

lakers4evr wrote:Panda is okay (I suspect because if it wasn't allowed, everyone would ...
Actually, Panda is OK because the "rule variant for advanced players" states that one cannot keep an objective that is already completed in the garden. Panda objectives are completed on the player mat, not the garden.

At least, that's my interpretation.
Faedur

Post by Faedur »

Hello,
Different languages of the game agree that this rule concern only the main board, not the individual ones. Elsewise a player could be stucked after greeding too many bamboo sections (though it could prevent that).
That's true this in not the standard game but the advanced variant.
I guess this topic has been opened long time ago but I recall some improvements here:
https://fr.boardgamearena.com/#!forum/v ... 61&t=12573
See also overall Takenoko topics: https://fr.boardgamearena.com/#!forum/v ... =9&t=10993
Kind regards.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Jest Phulin wrote:
lakers4evr wrote:Panda is okay (I suspect because if it wasn't allowed, everyone would ...
Actually, Panda is OK because the "rule variant for advanced players" states that one cannot keep an objective that is already completed in the garden. Panda objectives are completed on the player mat, not the garden.

At least, that's my interpretation.
http://www.matagot.com/IMG/pdf/takenoko_faq_eng-2.pdf
Panda objectives are meant to be counted too. BGA uses a publisher approved variant of the advanced rules.
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

Lucky or unlucky draws from the draw piles often decides a match in Takenoko. However, the knowledge about which objective cards most likely remain in the decks, and which decks the opponents have drawn from, are one of the most important "skills" in the current version. Allowing the basic version would "release" the very random version of the game. Some would argue that even with the advanced version the game is too random and this is an argument for not allowing the basic one...
JollyBird

Post by JollyBird »

lakers4evr wrote:... I think the system should tell you which objective card you picked up, that was not usable. This gives the player information about what cards are not in other player's hands. And in the tabletop version, even playing with the advanced rules, the player who picks up the unusable objective card would obviously have to see it first to determine that it was unusable. ...
+1

Return to “Suggestions”