Kill "starving" in Stone Age

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Suave410ec

Kill "starving" in Stone Age

Post by Suave410ec »

..or at least use the legitimate game rules.

Email me when you change it and I'll be back.
Jest Phulin

Re: Kill "starving" in Stone Age

Post by Jest Phulin »

What part of the rules is not being implemented?
glitter and doom

Post by glitter and doom »

Yes, and please kill the Sicilian defense in the Chess, too.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/4239694#4239694
Burning spear

Post by Burning spear »

It's not the same. Sicilian, like any other move in chess, is valid because there is no theme in this. It's pure mathematics, mechanics.

Personally, I hate starvation strategy too, no matter the result of the game (win or lose), and I don't plya again with people which use it (personal note was a great great improve, before that, my only choice to remember was a unfair red thumb)

Why? Because this is a game about developping AND feed your people. Give to them zero food almost each turn of the game seems to be a bug.

So I have to reformulate: if this strategy was always a road to defeat, it would be be the confirmation that feed people is necessary. Winning with this makes me sad, because it means that the feeding rule is a lie. So I'm not bored to lose personaly in this game, I'm bored that anywhere in the world, it can work. And if works often, it's worse

I'm a naïve romantic, but I like believe non-abstract games have a story to tell, or at least a theme. I know than german-like games could be used with one mechansim and one hundred diffrent themes, which are just excuses. But precisely, in Stone Age, the feeding rule was one of theqses few rules that catch together mechanism and theme.
Pissing on this rule to get more points seems to be a negation of this game's spirit. And maybe proof that it is not well balanced, because winning with negation of a constraint is not often a good news.

Example: in Agricola, try to get many mendicity card each recolt phase . You run to disaster...
Oso

Post by Oso »

Simply question:

Can the "starving strategy" be countered by the oponent?
nima_m

Post by nima_m »

I Think they can change the rules with one or all of these rules:
1- 30 point penalty for not feeding your people
2- if you starve 3 times in a game you lose.
3- each time you starve 2 of your peoples must die.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Burning spear wrote:So I have to reformulate: if this strategy was always a road to defeat, it would be be the confirmation that feed people is necessary. Winning with this makes me sad, because it means that the feeding rule is a lie. So I'm not bored to lose personaly in this game, I'm bored that anywhere in the world, it can work. And if works often, it's worse
Oh here we go again... This is not a 100% strategy, and often is a winning strategy against those who don't know how to play against it. So why not learn how to play against it? Does the game only count when strategies that you personally know how to beat are used?

nima_m wrote:I Think they can change the rules with one or all of these rules:
These are not part of the rules, and I don't think the site has the right to force house rules on people. (They also need to follow whatever agreements they have with publishers, which may not include non-official house rules.) And what if it's an accident? I just screwed up and wasn't paying attention to my food and was one short in a recent round. Fortunately I could pay a wood, but what if I couldn't? Should I get punished with 30 points or 2 of my people dying? You'll need to assign judges to the game to make sure we don't dump ridiculous punishments on the innocent.

P.S. https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!forum/v ... 37&t=12072
Where this was just very recently discussed. Also in that thread I posted links to 3 discussions about it on Board Game Geek. It is also discussed how to deal with the strategy.
Burning spear

Post by Burning spear »

Liallan wrote:
Burning spear wrote:So I have to reformulate: if this strategy was always a road to defeat, it would be be the confirmation that feed people is necessary. Winning with this makes me sad, because it means that the feeding rule is a lie. So I'm not bored to lose personaly in this game, I'm bored that anywhere in the world, it can work. And if works often, it's worse
Oh here we go again... This is not a 100% strategy, and often is a winning strategy against those who don't know how to play against it. So why not learn how to play against it? Does the game only count when strategies that you personally know how to beat are used?
When I take time to write a long message to explain why I don't like starvation, please read it all, it will spare me the effort to explain again

Where did you read that "game only count when strategy that i personnaly know how to beat are used"??? I lose against many strategies, and I don't hate them, really not. So maybe you should consider that I hate starvation... for the reasons I explained i my previous post (seems crazy I know...), reasons you didn't quote at all...
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Burning spear wrote: When I take time to write a long message to explain why I don't like starvation, please read it all, it will spare me the effort to explain again

Where did you read that "game only count when strategy that i personnaly know how to beat are used"??? I lose against many strategies, and I don't hate them, really not. So maybe you should consider that I hate starvation... for the reasons I explained i my previous post (seems crazy I know...), reasons you didn't quote at all...
Perhaps when I take the time to write a response, and you want to respond back, you could do it a little sooner than 6 months. It will save me the effort of having to read it all again. :roll:

I'm sure I did read it all the first time, because I generally do. I never said you said that anywhere. I was asking a question based on the overall "feel" of your post, not because you specifically said it, and I was asking it with sarcasm that you apparently failed to catch.

But I'm not going to go back and read the whole thing again 6 months later, so my first response will have to stand, sorry.
LeBleuet

Post by LeBleuet »

nima_m wrote:I Think they can change the rules with one or all of these rules:
idea, make an option (a ll or just some)
a) 1 missing food = 5 points penalty/ by missing food
b) with an increment, 5 the first time, 6 the second time. and so on...
c) after the first starvation , second time lose 1 people, third time lose two (people are rioting) and so on
d) add bonus points, 1 to the first time you feed them all, 2 the second time ( up to 5) if starvation, reset to 1.
e) the mean one: each not feed people, is dead.

would be nice to have options,

I think that would add flavor.

Return to “Suggestions”