Here is a free small script for 6 nimmt that remembers cards that are out

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Bon12345

Here is a free small script for 6 nimmt that remembers cards that are out

Post by Bon12345 »

Disclaimer: it's not a bot, you have to make moves and do all the thinking. it's a simple tool, game assistants are allowed on BGA.

It's super simple, all it does - remembers cards that are out and shows cards that could be in play

You can achieve the same result by simply writing down cards that are out on paper (I've done that :lol: )

It's totally free and here is how you can try to use it.

I was lazy to do any visual overlays because it requires some work (if there is enough interest i may do it).

Assuming you use Chrome for playing here is what you have to do:

1. Start a new game
2. F12 on Windows or Command + option + i on mac (or right click and Inspect)
3. Click on Console tab -> then you need to find Default levels dropdown and uncheck everything except for Warnings
You can skip step 3 but BGA outputs a lot of stuff in console so it's more difficult to use script

4. Go to https://gist.github.com/Stas-Buzunko/94 ... 2fa008fdd6 and copy lines 1-25
5. Paste them into Console (right next to > symbol)
6. Click Enter

It doesn't work on mobile because mobile don't have Console easily accessible.
Here is how this script works:
1. Every second it checks which cards are on the table and removes cards that are out
2. Then it displays cards that could be in game in console (remember that 50 cards are removed if you play 104 cards mode with 5 players)
3. if it sees that player has more cards on hand then before -> means a new round has started and it resets possible cards that can be in game

This tool doesn't give a lot of advantage while playing Normal mode with 104 cards.

If you play Professional mode then you need to change 104 to 10*N+4 (N-number of playes) in two places: on the first line and line 19th.

P.S. Feel free to reach out to me if you want me to improve this tool or if you would like me to write such tools for other games. my email is buzunkostas@protonmail.com
paramesis

Re: Here is a free small script for 6 nimmt that remembers cards that are out

Post by paramesis »

Bon12345 wrote: 18 January 2021, 20:18 Disclaimer: it's not a bot, you have to make moves and do all the thinking. it's a simple tool, game assistants are allowed on BGA.
That statement isn't exactly accurate. I wish the terms of service would be more explicit about this for external tools, since it has come up before. For developers, the BGA Studio guidelines state that assistants should not be used: http://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/BGA_St ... assistance

Tools that improve the visual representation of the game are fine, but actually affecting the mechanisms of the game itself is where it crosses a line. Hidden Trackable information is a mechanism of this game, albeit a minor one. By using a tool to remember cards, you are now playing a different game than everybody else, and many would consider that cheating.

This led to long, heated arguments related to a tool for 7 Wonders. The admins, designer, and publisher ultimately came to the conclusion that tracking this information violated the spirit of the game and requested that the feature be removed. https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... &start=100
Tokoloshe79

Post by Tokoloshe79 »

I'm sure I can't be the only player who wishes that this "assistant" did not exist. Anything that gives an unfair advantage to some players (and not others) should not be promoted here.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

What paramesis said !
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

This is cheating. So is writing down the cards. No one can stop you from cheating like that over the internet, but please don't promote it to others as something that's okay.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

I can only agree with the past posters, just don't do it!

Come away from the dark-side and use your powers for good. Go to the BGA Studio and develop a game instead. At the very least you can add this cheat 'option' to 6 Nimmt itself and then all tables can at-least choose to use it or not.
JFizDaWiz

Post by JFizDaWiz »

Tokoloshe79 wrote: 19 January 2021, 02:26 I'm sure I can't be the only player who wishes that this "assistant" did not exist. Anything that gives an unfair advantage to some players (and not others) should not be promoted here.
this isn't cheating, it's card counting.
some people can do it and other can't so by that logic, card counting is cheating because they have an unfair advantage (ability to remember all cards played) vs someone who can't keep track of that.
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

JFizDaWiz wrote: 20 February 2021, 08:45 this isn't cheating, it's card counting.
some people can do it and other can't so by that logic, card counting is cheating because they have an unfair advantage (ability to remember all cards played) vs someone who can't keep track of that.
Competitive boardgames are a comparison of skill. The question is "which skills are compared?"
And in this case, is the skill of capacity of counting cards that are out, and being able to memorise them, one of the main skills of this game?

Some games have public discard pile, the answer is then clearly no for them.
In games where cards previously played card are explicitly not publicly available for peoples to recount them, the answer is yes.

In a lot of BGA implementations of card games, the devs chose to put in the log all the card played, meaning that "who played what during the first turn" is now a publicly available information even if it was not in the IRL version of the game. This makes the question much more debatable: since you can just look at the log to get the info, there is not much memorisation skill any more, right?

However, in the case of 6 nimmt, the developers chose to not put in the log which cards are played, keeping the answer as a clear yes, memorisation skills are a part of the game, as much as when played IRL.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Bon12345 wrote: 18 January 2021, 20:18 You can achieve the same result by simply writing down cards that are out on paper (I've done that :lol: )
Would you do this in plain sight sitting across a physical table from someone? If no, then why should the equivalent thing be automated?

If you claim the answer is "yes, I'd blatantly do this right in front of someone," then I'd still argue that it should not be automated because the other players in a physical game would have a choice not to play with you, but when it is done secretly on BGA no one can opt out.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

JFizDaWiz wrote: 20 February 2021, 08:45 this isn't cheating, it's card counting.
Doing it yourself in your own head is card counting. This is not.

Return to “6 nimmt!”