Maenads and Hera

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
shcowcow

Maenads and Hera

Post by shcowcow »

I havn't tried this matchup yet but I would like to know that if Maenads move to a perimeter space, such that, at the end of her turn, she sandwich an opponent. Does she win the game?

Hera power said that opponent cannot win by moving into a perimeter space, so for me, it affects all winning that happens in the move stage in the player turn. Thus for me, it does not affect Chronus or Maenads since Chronus winning happen in the build stage while Maenads winning happen in the end of the turn.

Similarly, what if in a trio game with Hera and Gaea, Maenads move to a perimeter space to build a dome, and Gaea spawns her worker being sandwiched by Maenads. Does it count as a win for Maenads? For me, yes for sure since Maenads in fact win by STANDING at the perimeter space, instead of moving to a perimeter space.
quietmint

Re: Maenads and Hera

Post by quietmint »

Hera says you cannot win by moving into a perimeter space. This only affects the normal win condition. Hera has no effect on Maenads.

Maenads vs Hera: Maenads wins if she sandwiches Hera, even on the perimeter.

Maenads vs Hera vs a third God: If Maenads sandwiches either opponent, that opponent is eliminated. The game continues until Maenads sandwiches the second opponent, or until someone moves up to level 3 (normal win condition), or some other win condition is triggered (e.g., Chronos build enough towers).
shcowcow

Post by shcowcow »

quietmint wrote: 07 September 2020, 01:25 Hera says you cannot win by moving into a perimeter space. This only affects the normal win condition. Hera has no effect on Maenads.

Maenads vs Hera: Maenads wins if she sandwiches Hera, even on the perimeter.

Maenads vs Hera vs a third God: If Maenads sandwiches either opponent, that opponent is eliminated. The game continues until Maenads sandwiches the second opponent, or until someone moves up to level 3 (normal win condition), or some other win condition is triggered (e.g., Chronos build enough towers).
Great thanks! That's detailed, but I think "Hera only affects the normal win condition" is not clear enough?
Hera does affect Pan and Eros win where their win happens in the move stage.
gretirse

Post by gretirse »

Indeed, I think quietmint was speaking only about the two winning conditions available to Maenads.

Let me emphasize that this kind of question is answered by looking at the exact wording of the powers. Maenads says "End of your turn: if your workers neighbour an opponent's worker on opposite sides, that opponents loses the game". This only describes the state at the end of your turn. So the way these workers got there (moving, spawning...) is not relevant, and Hera's power does not apply.

For Pan and Eros, their power starts by "you also win if one of your workers moves [...]", hence they are affected by Hera.

For Chronus, his power states "you also win when there are at least five complete towers on the board" and does not specify when this happens: it can be at the building stage as you said, but also when using another power (Asteria, Polyphemus, Heracles...), and in any case is not affected by Hera.
shcowcow

Post by shcowcow »

gretirse wrote: 07 September 2020, 12:44 Indeed, I think quietmint was speaking only about the two winning conditions available to Maenads.

Let me emphasize that this kind of question is answered by looking at the exact wording of the powers. Maenads says "End of your turn: if your workers neighbour an opponent's worker on opposite sides, that opponents loses the game". This only describes the state at the end of your turn. So the way these workers got there (moving, spawning...) is not relevant, and Hera's power does not apply.

For Pan and Eros, their power starts by "you also win if one of your workers moves [...]", hence they are affected by Hera.

For Chronus, his power states "you also win when there are at least five complete towers on the board" and does not specify when this happens: it can be at the building stage as you said, but also when using another power (Asteria, Polyphemus, Heracles...), and in any case is not affected by Hera.
Thank you so much! I think I was clear about Pan and Eros, but not Chronus before XD
Now I am clear for all now thanks!
King Hrothbeort

Post by King Hrothbeort »

So this is working correctly :)
https://imgur.com/a/TT17t84

Return to “Santorini”