DEUS: When Catan meets Race for the Galaxy in the roman empire.

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

DEUS: When Catan meets Race for the Galaxy in the roman empire.

Post by DrClick »

A game from the gods, for the simple mortals...

Highly-acclaimed by critics, winning many commendations worldwide, Deus was surely a game to talk about when it was released in 2014.
MinD-Spielepreis Complex Game Nominee, Tric Trac Nominee, Lys Passioné Finalist, Kennerspiel des Jahres Recommended, International Gamers Award, As d'Or - Jeu de l'Année Nominee and Golden Geek Award nominee.

To say the least, the game by Belgian's designer Sébastien Dujardin (Troyes, Black Angel, Tournay, etc...), was an event like most of his releases.

In Deus, players work to develop their own civilizations in a shared environment. Each player starts the game with five building cards, and on a turn a player either uses one of these cards to construct a building or discard one or more cards to make an offering to a god. Cards come in six colors: red for military, green for resource production, blue for trade, brown for scoring, purple for temples, and yellow for a variety of effects.

When you construct a building, you build it in the appropriate location on the modular game board — which is sized based on the number of players with the hexagonal tiles composed of seven landscape "circles" — then you place the card in your personal tableau in the appropriate stack of colored cards and activate the power of all of those cards already in your tableau, starting with the card at the bottom of the stack.

When you make an offering, you discard cards, then receive the help of a god associated with one of the cards that you discarded, with the number of cards determining the strength of the associated action. You then refill your hand to five cards.

The game ends either when all the barbarian villages on the game board have been surrounded and attacked or when all the temples have been constructed. Whoever has the most points wins.

A euro-game that's not as complicated as it sounds, based on a civilization-building theme. Let's dive into more details...

Hands down the best part of this game is the way meeples and cards are connected by category. That means when you play the War Elephants card, you not only gain one new army meeple together with the ability to move it 2 spaces, but that ability now also applies to every other army meeple you have. There are lots of interesting implementations of this concept throughout the design. Yet despite all this, the game is lightweight.

Two more quirks to explain. Temple cards are pretty much just the 6-cost devs from Race, offering endgame VP for objectives. Barbarian villages dot the map and offer one-time VP when surrounded and pacified. The game ends when either the barbarians or the temples run out (there's a common pool of temple meeples for all the players).

Player interaction is limited to blocking, raiding (stealing VP/gold) and competition over the temple meeples and barbarian villages.

Remember that to keep chugging along you will need cards, resource tokens (or gold which buys anything at 4:1), and meeples. You start with a 2 or 3 turn supply of resources gold, and a slightly bigger supply of meeples and cards.

What happens when you run out?

Instead of building, you can perform an offering to the gods. You throw away any number of cards, dedicating them to the Roman god of your choice by discarding at least one card of that suit (Mars = military, Neptune = maritime, you get the picture).

In exchange:

1. One meeple of the appropriate shape is added to your personal supply.

2. You refill your hand to 5 cards.

3. Each god grants an additional bonus that scales with the number of cards you discard: Neptune gives you 2 gold for each card; Ceres (production) gives you resources of your choice; Minerva (science) grants bonus card draws; Vesta (civil) grants VP; Mars (military) grants extra meeples of your choice; and Jupiter (temple) lets you use any other god's power.

DEUS is a rich euro-game that's shining from its original design. It's not complex, but rich in terms of choices.
If you have played Deus, now's your chance to get your hands on it again for another game.
If you have NEVER played Deus, we can tell you it's worth taking the time to get into the rules.

The best part in the game is that even if there are good players that will know which strategy to adopt depending on the cards they got at the beginning, there's always a strategy to get out of the "beginning-mist". And winning will bring you so much joy that you will probably never forget a game you've won.

Take a look at the rules, watch some games in progress and play it now by clicking here:
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=deus

Of course, we would like to thanks Sebastien Dujardin and Pearl Games for their help bringing Deus to the platform.
But more importantly: we would love to thanks Robinzig for the outstanding development of this game. That's a beast of combo-management and while possibilities could be endless, he managed to make the game totally playable on BGA. Kudos to him!

The game being magnified by Maeva Da Silva and Christine Deschamps, you don't have an excuse, if you're into games that are a bit bigger than your average family-sized game, you've come to the right place.
This is a game you should totally try.

At least once in a lifetime.
That's it for now, see you next Wednesday for more amazing games!
DrClick

Re: DEUS: When Catan meets Race for the Galaxy in the roman empire.

Post by DrClick »

ADDENDUM - Personal note
There are days when some game releases resonate more than others.

For more than 15 years, I have been working as an art director in the game world, and more particularly in publishing.
Among the people I've met since I started, Christine Deschamps and Maëva Da Silva have been among my most loyal professional partners. To the point of becoming my friends. My best friends.

We started the illustration work on Deus in a hurry, a few months before its release. Sébastien, the publisher, had several difficulties to overcome to complete his game on the graphic part, the title had to be released for Essen, and it is quite naturally that I called upon Maëva and Christine. We gave everything we could to get the game out on time.

It was released on time, with the (relative) success that it is known for, and the rest is known to all.

We then worked on a large number of titles. Sometimes failed, sometimes successful attempts.
What I liked the most in our work and our collaboration, it is this concern to conciliate time without compromising quality. At least as much as possible.
Christine was one of those hyper-talented artists who don't mince their words. Her couple with Maëva made an explosive cocktail of creativity, an infinite source of questioning and artistic energy.

We had great debates about formats. Endless philosophical exchanges on art, its usefulness and its uselessness. Life.

One evening, while we were having dinner together at my place, right after the delivery of the game, we debriefed about the project:
"I don't like the trays! There's something missing," Christine said.

She wasn't wrong. That's why, some time later, the re-release of the game took advantage of a graphic upgrade of the boards.

Since then, we have spent a lot of time working on possible projects. Together or separately. Dreams to build. Games to come.
Christine lived to draw. She had the rage to live. To give the best of herself. A superhuman strength. That's also why she grumbled a lot. That's also what made her so endearing. But the world was not moving fast enough for her.

Never in my life have I met someone so quick, precise and delicate to hold a pencil. She mastered traditional drawing as easily as others ride a bicycle. A crazy and rare talent. A precious person.
You can see for yourself: https://www.artstation.com/krissplayground

Then, last Saturday, she passed away.
36 years old. Barely.
I lost not only a friend, but also a soul mate.
As the calendar coincides with the arrival of Deus on BGA and Christine's departure, I wanted to share with you a few more personal words about her.

Because it was important to me to pay a public tribute to her.
Because I will always remember what we shared.
Because the gaming world is above all about encounters.
Because she saw a little through all those who play.

And because... tempus fugit.

Tempus, unfortunately, fugit...
meepleblender

Post by meepleblender »

In an outstanding development of one of my favorite games, thanks to the developer to create and attend all the suggestions to improve the game play
Waddington

Post by Waddington »

Nice addition to the catalog, certainly a game I want to learn and play.
Even better words with your homage to your friend and talented artist. May she rest in peace and my condolences to you and her friends and family.

We are never prepared to face time.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

What an homage to an obviously very talented person. May she rest in peace.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

So sorry to hear this news of your friend, @DrClick. I was happy to have my first game adaptation published on BGA, but this is a stark reminder that some things are far more important than boardgames, whether physical or online. My condolences to you and her other friends and family.
Jannick

Post by Jannick »

I always wanted to try this one out! Thank you for your effort!

I am sorry for your loss... That story was cutting deep.
SimplicatusGames

Post by SimplicatusGames »

My condolences. Both as one of the artists behind Deus (and many other games) and as a friend, Christine left her impression on the world. Thanks to your eulogy, more people, including myself, will know about her.
Our games make you think! https://Simplicatus.Games is an independent publisher and distributor of indie tabletop games.
sungod

Post by sungod »

What is Flanders doing there?
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

sungod wrote: 24 November 2021, 20:00 What is Flanders doing there?
It's a BGA "in-joke", for want of a better term. If you check every news announcement for a new game (there's usually at least 1 per week), Flanders is always on the image somewhere. There have been a few forum discussions/speculations as to why this is, but as far as I know there's never been an official answer from BGA. Weird, but there you go. By now there would probably be more questions (from regulars) if an announcement *didn't* include him than when one does :)

Return to “Official announcements [en]”