Next Arena Season Scenario

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Lord Vasta

Re: Next Arena Season Scenario

Post by Lord Vasta »

MrTempest wrote: 07 July 2021, 18:03 I agree, Robert! In this case, game balance is most important.

In my experience, however, the requirement in the Victory Conditions to reduce USSR National Will to 44 for an Axis victory, is slightly too harsh! 46 would, in my judgement, be most balanced.

I also want to add that USE is a war board game with impressive historical accuracy. Its elegance doesn't only lie in the interaction between its various game mechanics, easy to learn as they are, but in how well it portrays the decision-making of grand strategy and military operations.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the game. In the end, that's what it is, a game. One I hoped would offer a decent level of simulation and not be too onerous mechanically for its genre. It simulates somethings better than others. There is only so much a game can do when it tries to simulate the disparate campaigns of WW2.

There are other strategic WW2 boardgames that do it their own way with different mechanical approaches and simulation emphases. For those of us that like the genre, it's a shame more of them don't have a PC version so players can find the one they prefer. But there is little money to be made for the time invested programming them so I understand why. It's also why I greatly appreciate the volunteer effort Lunalol put into USE here on BGA.
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

I should think about sending the invoice ;)
jonathanmcc

Post by jonathanmcc »

I have some experience in programming computer versions of wargames.
I released a version of Avalon Hill's Hitler's War a few years back.
I also took a look at Totaler Krieg but that never saw the light of day.
Someone else did a World In Flames implementation also which I have never played. I believe that took many years.

The complexity of the rules and how they are written plays a major factor in how difficult the game is to program.
As the game is designed for face to face play, certain mechanics may not transfer well to a programmed version.
Also, any rule ambiguity has to be resolved by the code.

lunalol's USE implementation done in less than a year is incredible!
(It also strongly indicates the rules are very well written ;) )
MarkDey

Post by MarkDey »

For voting on what scenario should be used in the next arena season, go here https://boardgamearena.com/arenasuggestions?game=1216
Dren608

Post by Dren608 »

So is this season basically done (ends Jan 11th), Just recently broke 100 ELO went to try the Arena mode and no opponents found in over a day's wait, I know there is only 3 or so weeks left but the scenario in question is 15 turns at most so I would think it could be done in that time even in Duel mode. Most of the turns are rather quick.( training scenario 4 - early war ending Dec 1940).
MarkDey

Post by MarkDey »

I’ll put in a search for an arena match up when I get back on Sunday. It’ll be tight to finish it in time though.
Dren608

Post by Dren608 »

Thanks Mark I did find one and we finished before Christmas

Do we know what the next Arena Season Scenario will be?

Return to “Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe”