iPad for Splendor-- advice for fixing display?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
cdunc123

iPad for Splendor-- advice for fixing display?

Post by cdunc123 »

I play Splendor using my iPad. An issue = not all of the useful information is available on the default (vertical) screen. In particular, I cannot see the section which displays my current coins and bonuses and how close I am to the max limit of 10 coins (e.g. 2/10, 7/10, etc.). I also cannot see the section below that which displays my current cards in reserve and the nobles I have won. I can manually scroll down to see these sections, but the constsant scrolling up and down is annoying.

I've tried changing the settings, to no avail. I also cannot zoom out any further using the standard iPad finger pinch method. I have tried different browsers -- Safari and Chrome.

Has anyone who plays Splendor on the iPad found a way to make the default screen display show all the relevant info?
cdunc123

Re: iPad for Splendor-- advice for fixing display?

Post by cdunc123 »

One more thing: On one occasion when I changed the setting to "use BGA font," the iPad screen showed everything I needed to see. "Yay, it's fixed!" I thought, as I played a game with no need to scroll the screen up and down.

But sadly, the next time I played a game of Splendor on my iPad, with the same settings as before, the display was back to its incomplete-showing-of-information default. I have not been able to replicate the expanded display that shows everything, despite fiddling with every setting I can think of.

So it seems possible in principle to get an iPad display that shows all the relevant Splendor info (as an iPhone does), but I can't seem to figure out how to reliably access that sort of display. Any advice?
dornegan

Post by dornegan »

I have the same problem with my ipad, but no solution.
JoysJoy

Post by JoysJoy »

BGA is very clear they do not program games to have all options or to be completely played on tablets or phones. The wide variety of small screens is beyond the programming limits here. You are expected to play on a laptop or desktop. You can try other browsers to see if you can get closer to what you want, but BGA is not trying to make it work as well on your mobile devices.

FROM BGA FAQ:
"I am playing on a mobile device and I have some difficulties: what can I do?
BGA was designed with desktop and laptop computers in mind. Then we updated the layout to accomodate mobile users, but while some BGA adaptations run perfectly on mobile, some others are not designed well for small screens or touch screens. This can come from the complexity of the game itself (big board, lots of elements) or from the choices made by the developer.

Thus, when you play from a mobile device, we advise you to choose games that won't be too difficult to play on a small screen, and to pay extra attention to each of your moves to be sure to trigger the correct action: zooming a lot really helps!"
dornegan

Post by dornegan »

My IPad Pro is 12"9, like some MacBook Pro (you wrote laptop or desktop), so i was expecting to be able to play with it, but development don’t care of this device.
I wrote some bugs notices myself since my subscription.
As an ex-developper i think it’s possible to adapt some code without a lot of work.
I’m new player on bga, and i paid to be premium, but i didn’t know it will not be possible to play well with my iPad Pro.
JoysJoy

Post by JoysJoy »

I, too, have been severely disappointed by the lack of support for mobile devices. My iPad sucks and I just cannot play games here on it. I have an M1 macbook and can barely play some games on it. Carcassone, for example, freezes and glitches dramatically on my M1 Macbook. Games like HaiClue are practically useless in the Apple ecosystem. I can't use my apple pencil on my ipad to draw and it really sucks to try it on my macbook. I agree they need to up their programming and make tablets usable.

Return to “Splendor”