terrible interface and performance

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
radiospace

terrible interface and performance

Post by radiospace »

This seems like it is probably a really fun game if you buy the actual board game, but it's horrible on here. The interface is like some nightmare out of the early 90's and the performance on my computer is so bad it's basically unplayable. Like 10 seconds after I make a click before it responds to it. It's nearly impossible to scroll the map/card display/etc. to the position where I can see what I need to to make a decision because the game doesn't respond to the scroll command for 5 or more seconds and sometimes it doesn't respond at all several times in a row, but if I scroll twice it will jump down to the bottom of the interface in a few seconds. Excruciating. (I'm on a new iMac with high end specs, fwiw).
Shivaware

Re: terrible interface and performance

Post by Shivaware »

radiospace wrote: 09 January 2022, 15:46 This seems like it is probably a really fun game if you buy the actual board game, but it's horrible on here. The interface is like some nightmare out of the early 90's and the performance on my computer is so bad it's basically unplayable. Like 10 seconds after I make a click before it responds to it. It's nearly impossible to scroll the map/card display/etc. to the position where I can see what I need to to make a decision because the game doesn't respond to the scroll command for 5 or more seconds and sometimes it doesn't respond at all several times in a row, but if I scroll twice it will jump down to the bottom of the interface in a few seconds. Excruciating. (I'm on a new iMac with high end specs, fwiw).
I'm using an older MacBook Air and the performance is fine. There must be something about your configuration that is causing trouble. Does your iMac use the new M1 chip? Have you tried different browsers? Do other games work fine? I know Gaia Project seems to give my computer a bit of a workout, but it's still usable.

In real life, the map board is monstrous, so it's going to be tough to display everything on a small screen. For me, I've found the + and - zoom buttons work better than the scroll wheel for zooming.
radiospace

Post by radiospace »

I'm not using an M1 chip. It's a Fall 2020 iMac, 27" screen.

All the other games I've played on here work fine.

I played Gaia Project once and don't recall any issues but that was quite awhile ago.

I will try a different browser sometime. (I normally use Safari).
Shivaware

Post by Shivaware »

Thank you for the responses. I did look at a replay of a game using Safari and the scrolling was very smooth. I'm not sure if actually playing a game would behave differently.

I'm glad you are not having issues with any of the other games. I'm somewhat curious if another browser works, but I can imagine I wouldn't change my browser just to play one game. I certainly know I would also stop playing if I had to deal with delays like that while scrolling.

Return to “Railways of the World”