[OFFICIAL] “Nature vs. Machine, part I” event

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
thoun

[OFFICIAL] “Nature vs. Machine, part I” event

Post by thoun »

“Nature vs. Machine, part I” event is now available in King of Tokyo !

This option adds the Tokyo Tower : Roll 4 "1" while in Tokyo to claim a Tower level and get the level bonus!

If you want to play with “Nature vs. Machine, part I” event :
  • Automatic mode : On the game settings (gear icon on the lobby), in “Nature vs. Machine, part I” Event section, set "Enabled" to "I'm okay playing with". If you want to play only “Nature vs. Machine, part I” Event, set "Disabled" to "I never want to play with". You can also pick intermediate values to play mostly with “Nature vs. Machine, part I” Event.
  • Manual mode : set “Nature vs. Machine, part I” Event to "Enabled" when creating the table.
The 2 new monsters added with “Nature vs. Machine, part I” event are also available even outside of “Nature vs. Machine, part I” event ("Bonus monsters" option).

Have fun !
voriki

Re: [OFFICIAL] “Nature vs. Machine, part I” event

Post by voriki »

Thanks Thoun, looking forward to climbing the Tower.
OutOfHabit

Post by OutOfHabit »

What expansion/monster plan adds this tower?
thoun

Post by thoun »

OutOfHabit wrote: 28 January 2022, 15:03 What expansion/monster plan adds this tower?
King Kong monster pack
voriki

Post by voriki »

OutOfHabit wrote: 28 January 2022, 15:03 What expansion/monster plan adds this tower?
"King of Tokyo/New York: Monster Pack – King Kong"

While you are in Tokyo, when you roll [1][1][1][1] (four 1's) you gain the bottom level of Tokyo Tower.
If someone else has the bottom level, you take it from them.
If you already have the bottom level, you take the middle level(and thus have 2 parts).
If you already have the middle level(and thus also the lower level), you take the top level and win the game automatically.

Now these levels had an added benefit, at the start of your turn, you gain 1 ❤️ when you hold the bottom level. When you hold the middle level you gain 1 ❤️ and 1 ⚡.
Obviously these stack, so holding 2 levels at the same time gives you 2 ❤️ and 1 ⚡.

Some obvious strategies would be to try to steal the Tower pieces away from other players once they gain them, but you have to be in Tokyo to do that.
OutOfHabit

Post by OutOfHabit »

Thank you for the explanations- i look forward to trying it... and to seeing if it it is one of the monsters I received but haven’t had the chance to try out yet
Xvk

Post by Xvk »

seems way too strong in 1v1. very fun in 3+ players, though
bionic20

Post by bionic20 »

Finally, Herd Culler OP! :lol:
bionic20

Post by bionic20 »

Xvk wrote: 30 January 2022, 06:29 seems way too strong in 1v1.
As a player who plays 2p almost exclusively I wouldn't be so sure of this. Needless to say I only started to try out Tokyo Tower since yesterday and this is just a first impression

As I see it, Tokyo Tower is just a redesign of the card that gives you +9XP with an specific roll (Cant remember the name but I call it the Lottery Ticket); you only need 3 lucky rolls to win the game.

Any experienced 2p player knows that going straight ahead for XP is a folly, with only 1 in 20 attempts working. However, sometimes the opponent buys the lottery ticket and hits the jackpot.

The issue here is how many rolls does the opponent waste in order to claim the lottery/tower. For every game when this gamble work, you have many games of the opponent rolling duds for several hands which allows you to make a definitive difference with either paws or energy rolls. There have been many games with my opponent being so close to win by XP but dying because of them not getting enough hearts to counter my paws or me getting OP cards with my energy advantage.

Based on the empirical fact that I still win most of the games in which the opponent goes for the lottery ticket, I believe Tokyo Tower is not too strong on 1v1

This is not to say that TT its not an exciting add-on. Of course there are a couple of differences TT and the lottery ticket, but the main one for me are the benefits that the first 2 bases give you. +1 heart every turn can really make a difference, but +2hearts +1energy is straight up OP; you can basically stay in Tokyo the extra rounds you need for the last needed roll. This is why just triggering the first block of the Tower basically ignites an arms race of stopping them not just the win, but the second block advantage. I had already moved Plot Twist from mid-tier card to must-buy with the introduction of cultists, but now Herd Culler became a must buy too; additionally, completing the combo with Freeze Time is pretty much more OP than having any of the big 3 cards: Shrink Ray/Wings/Jets (basically gg-tier cards in 2p)

I will be playing new games with Tokyo Tower option + Cultists. Costumes are still banned until Thoun contacts Iello with my demands :P
voriki

Post by voriki »

bionic20 wrote: 01 February 2022, 01:57 .
Hey Bionic, I saw you had made a Bug Report which turned out to be a mistake in the interpretation of the rules.
Earlier I had posted the text which I quote below, which already gives some insight. It is perfectly normal for a player to have the bottom level, and another player to have the middle level. But only if the first player stole the first level from the 2nd player while the 2nd player was holding both.
The rewards remain the same, the middle level gives health+energy, regardless if you have the 1st piece or not.

voriki wrote: 28 January 2022, 16:42 While you are in Tokyo, when you roll [1][1][1][1] (four 1's) you gain the bottom level of Tokyo Tower.
If someone else has the bottom level, you take it from them.
If you already have the bottom level, you take the middle level(and thus have 2 parts).
If you already have the middle level(and thus also the lower level), you take the top level and win the game automatically.

Now these levels had an added benefit, at the start of your turn, you gain 1 ❤️ when you hold the bottom level. When you hold the middle level you gain 1 ❤️ and 1 ⚡.
Obviously these stack, so holding 2 levels at the same time gives you 2 ❤️ and 1 ⚡.

Return to “King of Tokyo”