Arena Settings

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Niall

Re: Arena Settings

Post by Niall »

Pascalbro wrote: 26 January 2022, 15:03
Your assertion that both players have an equal chance of getting the unbalanced tile is true when played over lots of games, therefore you say it is “balanced” statistically speaking. But do you want “balance” that rewards skill, or “balance” that forces everyone’s win ratio towards 50% in the long run, regardless of their ability? You seem to be arguing for the latter.

You might as well argue that both players in a coin toss have an equal chance to win as heads and tails even out statistically over enough tosses - therefore it’s a balanced game. But in my view it wouldn’t lend itself to a great arena experience, as there is no room for skill to modify the outcome.
The opinion that the tile is unbalanced is silly for two reasons.

First, because it obviously isn't. It's not the magic win button you're all making it out to be. The developer spiced it up for a reason and one that was likely thoroughly tested and concluded as fine to have as an inclusion. Moreover, you have no statistics to back up this claim, only opinion, which has a lack of understanding of basic statistics. So, right off the bat you're uninformed and people are using their inflated status to argue over me because I have less experience, which is rude, especially when followed up with obtuse condescension illustrating they have no idea what they're talking about.

Second, because, even if it was, it doesn't matter. You can't say that you're forcing first edition in the sake of competition, because everyone gets this tile at the same frequency.

So what are you arguing for, 'skill'? Please. People who are skilled don't rewrite rules, they deal with the rules set by the developer as well as the variance that comes with additions. All you're arguing for is preference which, as a result, has lead to ridiculous wait times, poor aesthetics and an environment where you can beat up on low ranks to boost your own egos.

Skilled players don't create deserts to increase the frequency of getting low ranked players. They create healthy environments, without fear of dealing with new challenges.
Being the start player in a game of CoB (chosen randomly) gives you a greater chance of getting the OP tile. And an equal chance is not the same as an equal opportunity. The former rewards luck, whereas the latter allows for skill.

Also, no one is dictating anything here. We’re merely arguing the case for our own preferences, as are you.
And yet you're creating an environment where you get increased luck of being matched with players that have less skill than you do, in a scenario where 'luck' won't balance out in the long term. :D

New game comes out, immediately take to the forums whining about a tile you can't deal with, get the admin to change things, farm people with lack of experience and feel better about yourself.

I've got news for you, this isn't how skill nor competition works.
Wow… It always amazes me how heated some people can get about a site which is supposed to be fun! I suppose I am glad you are also passionate about this game, although we find different ways to express that.

There are a lot of things in the above I could pick up on, but I think we are going in circles and unlikely to change each other’s minds at this stage. You call my clear reasoning condescending, then go on to reiterate the same argument I have already calmly and politely dismantled. I can tell your hackles are up and logic will not satisfy you. Please, take care, relax, and I hope you enjoy CoB in whatever form you choose to play it.
Pascalbro

Post by Pascalbro »

Niall wrote: 26 January 2022, 17:02
Wow… It always amazes me how heated some people can get about a site which is supposed to be fun! I suppose I am glad you are also passionate about this game, although we find different ways to express that.

There are a lot of things in the above I could pick up on, but I think we are going in circles and unlikely to change each other’s minds at this stage. You call my clear reasoning condescending, then go on to reiterate the same argument I have already calmly and politely dismantled. I can tell your hackles are up and logic will not satisfy you. Please, take care, relax, and I hope you enjoy CoB in whatever form you choose to play it.
Hahaha, sure.

Here's the summary of your lot's interaction:
-be as annoying as humanly possible after setting ridiculous options, killing the scene and any true competition
-insult people who have different opinions, making sure to point out their rank and win rate
-claim they're irrational after they've addressed your arguments with logical and rational responses.
-claim they're angry after you've done everything to make them angry, hoping that's their state when really, they're just facepalming at the lengths people go to to boost their egos and elo.
Qualitaetsgarant

Post by Qualitaetsgarant »

Pascalbro wrote: 26 January 2022, 17:18 Hahaha, sure.

Here's the summary of your lot's interaction:
-be as annoying as humanly possible after setting ridiculous options, killing the scene and any true competition
-insult people who have different opinions, making sure to point out their rank and win rate
-claim they're irrational after they've addressed your arguments with logical and rational responses.
-claim they're angry after you've done everything to make them angry, hoping that's their state when really, they're just facepalming at the lengths people go to to boost their egos and elo.
You are not welcome here, Pascal.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Please everyone, stop feeding the troll. (I'm not a competitive or particularly good CoB player, so don't have any natural "side" in this debate - but I know which side is giving reasonable arguments and which is just coming across as objectionable, and I trust most other observers would judge it the same way.)
Pascalbro

Post by Pascalbro »

robinzig wrote: 26 January 2022, 18:15 Please everyone, stop feeding the troll. (I'm not a competitive or particularly good CoB player, so don't have any natural "side" in this debate - but I know which side is giving reasonable arguments and which is just coming across as objectionable, and I trust most other observers would judge it the same way.)
Ah yes, that must be it. I'm a troll and yet everything I've said is anchored firmly in reality and maths.

This is such a cozy environment. You come in with experience and wisdom and people treat you with complete callous regard. No wonder nobody is playing arena...

Why would anyone ever come here either to try to get people to acknowledge these things?
Qualitaetsgarant

Post by Qualitaetsgarant »

Pascalbro wrote: 30 January 2022, 07:16 Ah yes, that must be it. I'm a troll
finally

Return to “The Castles of Burgundy”