New rail interface

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Markdragon

New rail interface

Post by Markdragon »

While it looks like it does have some AI to suggest what you probably want to do next and I have mis-clicked some horrible track layout confirmation. The new look has some issue especially trying to do a curve out of a city to a city, it first shows all the other options before the curve you want. Overall I prefer the old look.
RogerAstro

Re: New rail interface

Post by RogerAstro »

Would rather have seen the effort to upgrade the implementation be devoted to expand the library of maps, but there may be permission-problems. This is a great game, and a well-done implementation. Making all those cards work on each unique map must be a labor of love; can't imagine all the work that has gone into this.
darkmatter

Post by darkmatter »

I like the new look, especially the new way for showing the deliveries. I like the new way of adding the track tiles, although I haven't played on a more congested map yet. Good job.
brendanm

Post by brendanm »

This seems much less efficient than the previous approach.
In any case I would suggest a simple click on the next hex interface, rather than cycling through the track shapes, which is forced for any given next hex.
Track01.png
Track01.png (99.86 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Track02.png
Track02.png (99.18 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Track03.png
Track03.png (106.63 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Track04.png
Track04.png (102.99 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
That gives n+2 clicks for an n-link, rather than 2-4 * n for the current approach.
WetDogIsHappy

Post by WetDogIsHappy »

I have worked on this kind of track laying technique, and while good progress was made, I eventually rejected the method.
The devil is in the details, especially when handling events beside multiple cities. It gets worse when you need to wag a partially built link that is beside a city.

You wind up with moments of super easy builds and then some potentially super confusing moments when the method doesn’t offer you what seems like a legal move. Also, the method doesn’t really offer a significant reduction of clicks.

It also gets away from the tile laying theme of the board game a bit.

Both current method’s have their moments of glory, as well as their annoying bits.

Return to “Railways of the World”