[Strategy] Which patterns are best

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Romain672

[Strategy] Which patterns are best

Post by Romain672 »

Hi,
I did some theory today.
I will compare 8 versions of missing tiles you can give to your teammates. You have:
(I): which represent a single exit
(/): which represent a corner. So you are missing a 1x1 tile to close everything.
(L)&(J): which represent a corner but one away. That mean these two exits aren't close to each other, but can be close with one 1x2 tile.
(F)&(Io): which represent three exits which are really close to each other. Like the previous one, you need a 1x2 tile with three exits to close it.
(U): which represent just a u. Again, a 2x1 tile with two exits is needed.

Here is the results:
The score give you the amount of exits which can be closed plus one bonus point if the exit became something good (┐),(└), or (U) PER TILE.
Note I didn't count tiles which make the patternbecame a (L), (¬), (F), or (I═) because it didn't seem enough good.
'Closed twice' mean after playing my tile, there is two less exits.

(I) can be closed by 9 tiles. It has a score of +9.
(/) can be closed twice by 3 tiles. Once by 13 tiles. Furthermore, 4 tiles make it became a (U). It got a score of +23.
(L)&(J) can be closed once by 6 tiles. Twice by 2 tiles. Became a (U) by 2 tiles. Became a (F) or (Io) by 2 tiles. Since (F) and (Io) aren't that good, I will ignore them. They got a score of +12.
(F)&(Io) can be closed once by 2 tiles. Twice by 9 tiles. Thrice by 2 tiles. 5 tiles give a (L)or(J) [2 extra remove one exit]. 2 tiles give (L)&(J) [2x2 extra remove one exit]. It got a score a +33.
(U) can be closed once by 8 tiles. Twice by 2 tiles. 2 tiles each make it became a (L), (J), or (U). It got a score of +14.

If I summarise:
(I): +9
(/): +23
(L)&(J): +12
(F)&(Io): +33
(U): +14
Please note that way of counting points reward patterns which got an higher number of exits because you can do more things with them, and sometimes close 2 or 3 exits.

The thing imo to learn from it, is that (F)&(Io) are extremely valuable.
At my surprise, (L), (J), and (U) didn't got much points. Doesn't mean you should not do them, but doing them on purpose isn't much valuable. The thing is for them, is that most really annoying tiles can be good with them. So it look like giving one timing for your teammates to play there is great. After that, you can play on them directly.
On the other hand, if you have a (F) or a (Io) available, keeping it alive while you can play somewhere else is pretty good because a lot of tiles can make something good out of it.

I would really enjoy some reactions to it, if that surprise you. If you want to criticise my method of counting points, or anything else.
Since I understood that, I find my gameplay way better.

I start to understand what are the upsides and the drawbacks of playing X tiles at Y place.

Here is my doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0 . I did some updates since that post. And there is minor mistake son that post.
Last edited by Romain672 on 17 May 2022, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Romain672

Re: [Strategy] Which patterns are best

Post by Romain672 »

I just ranked every tile: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1652953078 . I will try to use it another time.

Feel free to skip that section:
Each tile got tested on how well they manage the + F Io / I (once), and how well they manage U L J (halved).
Then I associated I / Io F + into 1 point, U L J into 2 points. And a max of 3 points.
That mean a single exit tile will get:
- 0 point for I (it close it completely)
- 3 points for / (it can't be played on it)
- 1(halved) points for J (transform it into I)
- 1(halved) points for L (transform it into I)
- 1(halved) points for U (transform it into I)
- 1 or 3 points for Io (transform it into / or can't be played)
- 1 or 3 points for F (transform it into / or can't be played)
- 3 points for + (can't be played)
0+3+0,5+0,5+0,5+1~3+1~3+3=9,5~11,5.
More that number is low, and better the tile is.
Then you do 19,5-(that number), and you add 3 bonus points if that tile got 2 exits or less (or is exactly the +).

So we got single exits and / tiles, who get ranked 11 to 13.
The + ranked 10.
And then, you find an enormous gap, you got good two exits tiles, and F tiles ranked at 7.
The U, and the easiest 4exits tiles ranked at 6,5.
Some good tiles to fill T or / at 3 exits ranked at 6. Kinda surprised by those, but I guess they are very versatile.
The bench ranked at 5,5.
All others 2 exits tiles ranked at 5.
The beds ranked at 4.
All others 3 exits tiles ranked at 3.
And others 4 exits tiles ranked at 1,5 or 0,5.

I really like that ranking, since that really is the impression I got from them.

Return to “Bandido”