Cannot omit the $(you) string from translation, but it translates to a wrong form of "you" in Slovak for instance

Slovenský preklad
Joe

Cannot omit the $(you) string from translation, but it translates to a wrong form of "you" in Slovak for instance

Post by Joe »

Hi folks,

is the $(you) string hard-coded for a particular translated phrase in every language?

In Slovak it is apparently "Vy" in all games, which means "you", but in a more polite form, as in "You, Your Highness", as oppoed to "you, the player". That is the closest I can approximate it.

And I would need it to be "you" as in "ty", the more casual form of speaking to a friend.

The German example would be "you" translated not as "Sie", but as "Du".

When I try to leave it out of the translated sentences, it of course issues an error that "${} markers must all be present in the translated string".

How could this be remedied, at least for individual translations (if it cannot be done generally for the Slovak language, which I presume would "break" all the exisiting translations, that were taking into account the more polite salutation)?
fruktansvärt

Re: Cannot omit the $(you) string from translation, but it translates to a wrong form of "you" in Slovak for instance

Post by fruktansvärt »

The developer of the game decides what phrases should be translated, so you have to take it up with them (file a bug report on the game's bug page).
qwertasdfg

Re: Cannot omit the $(you) string from translation, but it translates to a wrong form of "you" in Slovak for instance

Post by qwertasdfg »

That answer was not correct.

The string for ${you} is in the translation system as well. You need to change that, it probably is in the main page part as it is used everywhere
peter_zrnko

Post by peter_zrnko »

Today I've changed the Slovak translation of "You" from "Vy" to "Ty" in the BGA main page section. I think it fits better.

There is also a related topic in german group for translators "Du oder Sie?" The german problem;)
Their recomandation is:
"Sie" wäre einfach viel zu formell, zumal ich die User hier eher progressiv und jung einschätze.
It means use more familiar version instead of the more polite version.

Maybe we can unify also the translated strings in BGA main page in this way.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Thx, indeed!
"You" singular is a better fit for the gaming community. We are not old grognards pushing V Corps into Normandy 8-)

I have been updating the Slovak translations for a few games so far and changing to "Ty" wherever I could.

Return to “Slovenčina - sk”