Are the doublers working?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Rawiri

Are the doublers working?

Post by Rawiri »

Wondering about this after my last game here. The story is as follows: I was building the Trans- Siberian line and coming into the last round I had 210 points, and six doublers placed. Also the points enhancer was placed.

The points without doublers were:

Grey: 9 spaces = 9×1 = 9
Brown: 8 spaces = 8×3 = 24
Natural: 7 spaces = 6×7 = 42
White: 6 spaces = 10×6 = 60

Without doublers that's a total of 135 points, which the interface was duly showing.

Doubler bonus with 6 doublers should have been:

Grey: 6×1 = 6
Brown: 6×3 = 18
Natural: 6×6 = 36
White: 6×10= 60

So doubler bonus should have been 120 at that rate.

So starting from 210 at 2nd last round, score at last round should have been 210+135+120=465.

But instead my final score was 345, denying me the win (boohoo poor me :D ). But anyway my point is that doublers don't appear to be working.

Am I right with these calculations and what the final score should have been? Or have I misunderstood how doublers work here?
N_Faker

Re: Are the doublers working?

Post by N_Faker »

Only the highest value track is scored per section.
You don't get cumulative points from lower scoring tracks.
Elegiac

Post by Elegiac »

I'd also like some clarification on the doublers. Here was my situation:
Gray: 10 x 1 = 10
Brown: 9 x 3 = 27
Natural: 8 x 6 = 48
White: 7 x 10 = 70
Doublers on spaces 1-8

At the end of the game I received 156 points for the Trans-Siberian. By my calculations above, I should have received 155 points without counting doublers. Can someone tell me how I ended up with 156 points?

Thanks in advance.
Lee_JS

Post by Lee_JS »

This is a common misconception about the way rails are scored. You scored as follows:

White: 7 x 10 x 2 =140
Cream: 1 x 6 x 2 = 12
Brown: 1 x 3 = 3
Gray: 1 x 1 = 1

140+12+3+1=156

Doublers score fine. Your understanding of the maths is wrong.
Barry Mckeown

Post by Barry Mckeown »

And after reading these comments I can officially say I'll never take the 3x doubler advancement again. Hell I won't even bother with doublers at all considering it takes 8 doublers and a whole load of moving the white track piece to the 8th square (which I've never even come close to and don't understand how anyone could).

I just lost to my wife and felt confused as to how after having what I considered to be an efficient effort by myself. Turns out the 3x doubler scored me a profit of 10 points or something. I'm always going to take the increased rail value advancement from now on and I fail to see how the 3x doubler could ever score more than the rail value advancement in any situation.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Barry Mckeown wrote: 24 February 2022, 21:21 And after reading these comments I can officially say I'll never take the 3x doubler advancement again. Hell I won't even bother with doublers at all considering it takes 8 doublers and a whole load of moving the white track piece to the 8th square (which I've never even come close to and don't understand how anyone could).

I just lost to my wife and felt confused as to how after having what I considered to be an efficient effort by myself. Turns out the 3x doubler scored me a profit of 10 points or something. I'm always going to take the increased rail value advancement from now on and I fail to see how the 3x doubler could ever score more than the rail value advancement in any situation.
I agree that the 3 doublers advantage token is pretty weak. I don't recall ever taking it myself - but if you're going for a Trans Siberian strategy and have taken the endgame bonus of 20/30 points for doublers and missed the doubler action too many times (and didn't get the doubler engineer), it could conceivably be worthwhile.

I disagree that doublers in general are not worth bothering with. I don't claim to be an expert but I played a lot of RR on here earlier in lockdown - admittedly with the same small group - and was regularly scoring around 450 points, and discovered that a very heavy Trans-Siberian strategy is basically one of two winning strategies in this game (the other being a combination of Kiev and heavy industry). Of the two, the TS seems to have a higher score ceiling but is more vulnerable to disruption from competition. And you just can't get those huge scores on trans-siberian without getting 6-7 doublers, along with the track scoring enhancement and obviously the white track as far as you can. (Not sure if I ever got it to 8, although I think I did in several games, but you certainly need it at least at 5-6 or so. It's been a fair while since I last played so my memory for details isn't necessarily 100%)
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Also, when you say the 3 doublers got you a total of 10 points - do you mean it just increased your round *scoring* by 10 points? Even if so that's potentially 30/40/50 points over the whole game depending on when you took it - probably not the best one you could have taken but definitely not insignificant.

Return to “Russian Railroads”