SCOPA Cabana!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

SCOPA Cabana!

Post by DrClick »

It means "broom" and is one of the most famous traditionnal card games from Italy, like Briscola.
It is also played in many other countries, and while nobody really knows where the rules came from, it is usually played with a Napoletane card deck.
We do not often release such classic games, but this one is so popular that we wanted to shout about it. ;)

Want some more details about it?
All players arrange themselves around the playing surface. If playing in teams, team members should be opposite each other. One player is chosen to be the dealer.

Each player receives three cards. The dealer deals them out one card at a time, in a counter-clockwise direction, beginning with the player to their right. During this deal, the dealer will also place four cards face up on the table. A table card may be dealt before the deal begins, immediately after dealing a card to themselves but before dealing to the next player, or after dealing all players all three cards.

As it is impossible to sweep in a game where the initial table cards include three or four kings, such a deal is considered invalid. The cards are re-shuffled, and the dealer deals again.

The player to the dealer's right begins play. This player has two options: Either place a card on the table or play a card to capture one or more cards. A capture is made by matching a card in the player's hand to a card of the same value on the table, or if that is not possible, by matching a card in the player's hand to the sum of the values of two or more cards on the table. In both cases, both the card from the player's hand and the captured card(s) are removed and placed face down in a pile in front of the player. These cards are now out of play until scores are calculated at the end of the round. If by capturing all cards were removed from the table, it is called a scopa, and an additional point is awarded at the end of the round (unless this happened with the final card played by the last player of the last hand of a round, in which case cards are still captured but no additional point is awarded).

After all players have played all three cards, the dealer deals out three more cards to each player, again beginning with the player to their right. That player then begins play again. No additional cards are dealt to the table. This process is repeated until no cards remain in the deck.

After the dealer has played the final card of the final hand of the round, the player who most recently captured is awarded any remaining cards on the table, and points are calculated for each player or team. If no team has yet won the game, the deal moves to the right. The new dealer shuffles and deals the cards as described above.

You can discover this game by clicking here:
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=scopa

This classic game from the public domain has been developed by PiratJack and we invite you to send him your thanks!

That's it for today, but don't forget that Wednesday is time for another release!
Keep safe and play well!
gwaedin

Re: SCOPA Cabana!

Post by gwaedin »

I would love to see the "Scopone scientifico" variant implemented! 8-)
Fratacchione

Post by Fratacchione »

gwaedin wrote: 07 March 2022, 14:25 I would love to see the "Scopone scientifico" variant implemented! 8-)
My thought exactly. Plus, if you tease us with Scopa, when are Briscola and Tresette coming? :) ;)
ufm

Post by ufm »

Fratacchione wrote: 07 March 2022, 15:38 My thought exactly. Plus, if you tease us with Scopa, when are Briscola and Tresette coming? :) ;)
Briscola is already on BGA.
ryoga121

Post by ryoga121 »

I think it's a spanish game. Escoba.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/265099/escoba
TheLawyer

Post by TheLawyer »

Fratacchione wrote: 07 March 2022, 15:38
gwaedin wrote: 07 March 2022, 14:25 I would love to see the "Scopone scientifico" variant implemented! 8-)
My thought exactly. Plus, if you tease us with Scopa, when are Briscola and Tresette coming? :) ;)
Tressette "a perdere" too! :-)
miklomike

Post by miklomike »

It would be nice if you can display the current number of cards you have taken (if you want even more info the current number of coins taken would be nice too). That way players can decide if they need to focus more or less on cards, or focus more on coins, prima, or otherwise. Thanks
Hayden76

Post by Hayden76 »

ryoga121 wrote: 07 March 2022, 16:53 I think it's a spanish game. Escoba.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/265099/escoba
Escoba is available as a variant its just slightly different then standard Scoba. :D
Foolpanda

Post by Foolpanda »

I agree ... absolutely! :)
Almostel

Post by Almostel »

As Scopa is implemented, I think it would be very interesting to have "Escoba" (Spanish version) implemented to.

Te core mechanic is fundamentally the same, but there are some differences that make it, IMHO, a more interesting game.

In Escoba, you only capture cards if the you sum up to fifteen with the card you just played and as many cards y the table as you need. You can choose the cards if more than one possibility occurs. The rules for make an "escoba" remain the same, you take all the cards in a single play.

We play with an Spanish deck (without 8,9, 10) and for this, every card has a value equal to its number, excepto for the Sota (8) Caballo (9) Rey (10).

When it comes to scoring, each "scoba" is woth one point. Having the most number of cards, the most number of "oros" (gold), the "7 de velos" (7 of gold) are also one point each.

Just as a suggestion.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”