Maintain preferred color setting?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ts0ng

Maintain preferred color setting?

Post by ts0ng »

This is a minor niggle, but it comes up when playing in tournaments (particularly Round Robins) when I have a lot of games at once. Would it be possible to maintain my preferred color (set in my BGA profile) regardless of if it conflicts with another player's setting? In Can't Stop the color doesn't dictate anything wrt gameplay and it would be nice to always step into a game knowing I am yellow/green/etc and not picking the wrong #'s by accident.
euklid314

Re: Maintain preferred color setting?

Post by euklid314 »

Your proposal is not valid since your opponents have the same right to keep their color as you would wish it for yourself.

Since there is not a unique color for every participant of the tournament we have to share colors.
steve5332

Post by steve5332 »

euklid314 wrote: 12 March 2022, 09:30 Your proposal is not valid since your opponents have the same right to keep their color as you would wish it for yourself.

Since there is not a unique color for every participant of the tournament we have to share colors.
Well, no. The proposal is valid. Let's say I want to be blue, and you want to be blue. The game could show, to me, that I'm blue and you're red. It could show to you that you're blue and I'm red. To the game itself there are no colours; one player is player one and the other is player two. Thus it could theoretically always show you as your chosen colour. If a game (or website) was written well, that would be easy. Unfortunately I believe this has been asked for before and has been rejected. IIRC the BGA implementation is colour sensitive for players on the server side, rather than letting the client side choose. That certainly makes sense for some games such as chess. Your preference might be to always appear as white, but it would be confusing if your opponent played first as black. For Can't Stop there is no reason why players have to appear to be the same colour to everyone.
voriki

Post by voriki »

No, colors are part of the specific table you're playing.

They're colors that can be referred to in chat(what if one of the people says to watch out and target red, while you are red yourself, but so is the 3rd player?
The colors are the same for everyone, even out of the game for spectators or watching replays. Have the colors change based on each players personal preferences only leads to a lot of confusion.
steve5332

Post by steve5332 »

It only leads to confusion if someone refers to another player by colour rather than by their name in the chat. In all the games I've played that has never happened, though that could be because I'm not playing the sort of games in which that would happen.

What has happened in games I've played is that I've made a bad move while not realising which colour I was. For example, I played 20+ games of ToeShamBo this arena season. In all bar one I was blue. In the one game that I was orange I played too quickly while playing multiple tables turn based, made a bad move for orange and then lost because of it. There is no reason at all why I couldn't be blue the whole time, even if my opponent was blue too. No reason at all.
Ez0ah

Post by Ez0ah »

That reason being it would probably mean a massive overhaul of the current system. So yes, it’s theoretically doable, but would it be worth the effort?

Just develop the habit of checking which color you are at the beginning of the game (coming from someone who has done that mistake a few times as well)
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Ez0ah wrote: 13 March 2022, 14:29 That reason being it would probably mean a massive overhaul of the current system.
Whenever someone proposes what they think is an "easy" improvement, I wonder if they've done any programming...like ever.
voriki

Post by voriki »

steve5332 wrote: 13 March 2022, 12:04 There is no reason at all why I couldn't be blue the whole time, even if my opponent was blue too. No reason at all.
Yup, with such a mindset, I give up trying to reason with anyone.
steve5332

Post by steve5332 »

voriki wrote: 14 March 2022, 13:31
steve5332 wrote: 13 March 2022, 12:04 There is no reason at all why I couldn't be blue the whole time, even if my opponent was blue too. No reason at all.
Yup, with such a mindset, I give up trying to reason with anyone.
Excuse me? I'm not sure what "mindset" you are referring to here. I'm a software engineer, I do lots of programming. I never said it would be easy to program, nor did I ever say that it should be done (there are plenty of other features that could be implemented ahead of something like this). What I am saying is that there is no technical reason why this couldn't be done, albeit needing some amount of re-engineering (the amount of re-engineering I know not as I'm not familiar with the code base). The original responder to this thread said it couldn't be done, but clearly (conceptually) it can be done. Stating that something can be done, when it can be done, suddenly gives me a mindset that is... what exactly?

I know several people with some level of colour blindness. One member of our club usually plays yellow from a choice of say red/blue/green/yellow. Although he has difficulty distinguishing red/blue/green, the yellow he can pick out and it is (usually) more important to distinguish your own pieces versus the relative pieces of each of your opponents. On BGA he would like to always be yellow. Is that such a bad thing to ask for? I would hope that asking for features that are feasible (emphasis on feasible, not easy) that help out colour blind players is a good thing, even if it is a mindset you disagree with.
cigma

Post by cigma »

You can already vote for this suggestion here: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=31224
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)

Return to “Can't Stop”