Coup change proposal (ver 2: electric boogaloo)

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
__Mac__

Coup change proposal (ver 2: electric boogaloo)

Post by __Mac__ »

I hate to see this amazing game die/become irrelevant because of its sort of strict "condition" of requiring FIVE players for an optimal game (those of you that know, know).

My change proposal(s) are as follows:

-For 4 players, before cards are dealt to players simply flip two cards face up for everyone to see. If you flip twins, shuffle one card back into the deck and flip another until you have two different characters showing. THESE CARDS STAY FACE UP FOR THE REST OF THE GAME (similar to having a "fifth player" who isnt actually in the game.

-For THREE players, use only TWO OF EACH CHARACTER (for a 10 card deck).
For Ambassador, you have to shuffle one of your cards into the deck BEFORE drawing 2 cards etc. Since there would only be 4 cards left in the deck using Ambassador would make card counting/info gathering MUCH EASIER.
Forcing the player to put one of their own cards into the deck before the "draw 2" would make counting cards more difficult (as it should be with way less cards all around) but they would STILL be able to gather info (just not as reliably).

-For any and ALL games of Coup (5 players, 4 etc) let the Contessa Coup someone for one less currency (for 6 total currency). Yes, this can still be challenged (via bluff callout but cannot be blocked by anything).
Its a very SMALL "buff" but its SOMETHING.
If youve played enough games of Coup you know the Contessa is generally the weakest overall. Im suggesting this very small change as to bring the balance a little closer (I love this game for many reasons. General balance is one of them. That being said, the Contessa could use SOME love without breaking the rest of the game).
This would also help Contessa be a better late game option.

Rikka Tahta sempai please notice me 😭
Last edited by __Mac__ on 16 March 2022, 07:09, edited 2 times in total.
I like Coup.
__Mac__

Re: Coup change proposal (ver 2: electric boogaloo)

Post by __Mac__ »

Hosting an idle table because its next to impossible to gather 5 players is painful.
Playing with 3 players makes bluffing WAAAY too easy (Yes, the game IS about bluffing but theres also other crucial and important elements that play just as big a part in a victory ie, card counting/process of elimination etc).
I like Coup.

Return to “Coup”