Bluffing is a reportable offense?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Dave from Kentucky

Bluffing is a reportable offense?

Post by Dave from Kentucky »

I apologize, but when we get in our Western Character Outfits, bluffing and lying so not to get shot by the sheriff and trying to convince the sheriff to focus on another character by pointing out past plays that could be construed as detrimental to the sheriff's health got me reported and a stern notice from BGA.
I know BGA is right is ALL WAYS, but, they create a game where deceit and lies are part of the strategy, and then they deduct karma points because somebody took gameplay personal.
And of course, the end of the chat where we all say Good Game and the reporter is commended on their well played game.
Okay, that's all I got to say... I already feel another 20+ points deducted and a suspension from my prepaid premium account coming my way.
Thanks,
Dave from Kentucky
voriki

Re: Bluffing is a reportable offense?

Post by voriki »

https://boardgamearena.com/support?step=2
You can try to contact BGA here, they do not respond to specific moderations on the forum.

Bluffing is fine, even a certain form of lying(saying you're the deputy while you actually aren't). Maybe it was the way you said it?
Perhaps you could have said to the Sheriff something in the likes of "stop shooting at me, you idiot, I'm your deputy!" ? This ofcourse is not so fine.
kytbell

Post by kytbell »

I usually red thumb people who lie because if you have to lie in order to win, I don't want to play with you. (Speaking as a fellow Kentuckian -- and one who also lived in Paducah! -- it just goes against how I was raised.)

That said I would NEVER report someone for it. Did BGA say what conduct rule doing so apparently violated?
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

I'd say, in Bang! all bets are off. There's Outlaws and Renegades, corrupt Sheriffs and paid-off Deputies. It's the Wild West. Even in the card game rules, they make mention of collaborating. Of course the Outlaws and Renegades are gonna gang up together - to offset the Deputies and Sheriff that are working together inherently. Should the roles all be played blind? Initially yes, but once the jig is up, I say have at 'er. The fact that we have access to chat and notes, is compensation for not being face to face at the table to look the opponents in the eye, and see them twitch.

I've called out the lead bandit in Colt Express to the other players in chat, in an attempt to sway a win in my favour - we're bandits after all.

Jamaica incorporates Pirate collusion as well. Dice Town literally has a Sheriff that can dole out favours as part of the express normal game play.

Wild West'rs and swashbuckling Pirates are inherently untrustworthy.

There should be NO anticipated BGA intervention on these types of games in my opinion (if in fact it did occur).
Lie, cheat, steal, collude - It's all fair game.
kytbell

Post by kytbell »

Again, if you have to lie to win, I don't want to play with you. And I've won this game several times without telling a single lie. No board game is worth my integrity.

That said, I agree with Squash's point that players should be able to team up, etc. There's another thread going right now about Bang being the rudest game ever (subject line is "Fun game but") that this conversation is starting to overlap (calling other players "idiots" because the don't make the exact same move you would, etc is not cool). But to the OP's point, I am curious which rule BGA said lying breaks. Dave, was it under whatever that one is they have for being a jerk in chat? Or did they say something else, thanks? I'm just interested in learning more about what the rules are and how they are interpreted by mods.
etiennezouain

Post by etiennezouain »

Terenabell, I suggest you play this game IRL and see for yourself where the fun comes from. Or even better, read the actual rules leaflet of the game : deceit, negociation and bluff are highly encouraged.
I am flabbergasted by your rigidity "If you have to lie to win ..." even though SquashEngineer beautifully tried to explain to you that the setup is in the wild wild west.
Cullich

Post by Cullich »

terenabell wrote: 14 March 2022, 19:57 Again, if you have to lie to win, I don't want to play with you. And I've won this game several times without telling a single lie. No board game is worth my integrity.
You need to be playing a different game. I am honest to a fault and I lie in this game. It's a GAME. You get that, right? I own this and when my group plays, everyone (except the sheriff) claims to be a deputy, never fails. Playing the theme of the game is not about your integrity. This type of game is apparently not for you.

That said, I agree with Squash's point that players should be able to team up, etc. There's another thread going right now about Bang being the rudest game ever (subject line is "Fun game but") that this conversation is starting to overlap (calling other players "idiots" because the don't make the exact same move you would, etc is not cool).
That's an entirely different issue. The game isn't rude. The players are just being rude, which can happen in a lot of games where people start expecting certain plays from others. It's why I won't play Hanabi on here, or even Puerto Rico. Don't mix deceit that is meant to be part of the game with rude players.

Return to “Bang”