Memoir '44 - MT - Conditions of Victory

BGA localization discussions
Shebuka

Memoir '44 - MT - Conditions of Victory

Post by Shebuka »

I'm translating "The Mediterranean Theater" expansion scenarios in Italian using official rulebooks as the source for "Historical Background" and "Special Rules".

I noticed that "Conditions of Victory" in English for Scenario 1 translation doesn't make any sense (at least for me).

English: "Exit markers are in effect on the portion of the Allied baseline in between the 2 Exit markers, for the Axis forces." Gibberish!

In Italia it says this: "E’ in gioco una linea di uscita tra i 2 segnalini Uscita, per le forze dell’Asse, posizionati sulla linea di base dello schieramento Alleato."
Translated back to English: "An exit line is in play between the 2 exit counters, for the Axis forces, position on the baseline of the Allied deployment." Now it makes sense!

Is my English this bad that I can't understand the original conditions of victory? Or is it wrong/missing commas/end lines)?

edit: even the Italian translation doesn't reflect the signs on the scenario map... so must be also wrong.
Last edited by Shebuka on 01 June 2022, 11:51, edited 2 times in total.
Joe

Re: Memoir '44 - MT - Conditions of Victory

Post by Joe »

It might be the text was somehow translated from French to English? But then, the english texts are long available... not a clue :)
Shebuka

Re: Memoir '44 - MT - Conditions of Victory

Post by Shebuka »

I've looked into French rulebook and it says: "Pour le joueur de l'Axe, appliquez les règles des pions "Exit" à la portion de bord de plateau comprise entre eux côté Alliés."
Translated back to English: "For the Axis player, apply the rules for "Exit" counters to the portion of the board edge between them on the Allied side."

This is Scenario 1 "Hellfire Pass" and this doesn't make sense because exit signs on the map are on the Axes side, not Allied side... Then Scenario 3 has the same condition but Exit signs are on the opposite side, which makes them correct.

So I went to the official website: https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/e ... w/?id=4245

Here we can read:
Conditions of Victory:
6 Medals.

Exit markers are in effect on the portion of the Axis baseline in between the 2 Exit markers, for the Allied forces.
And the French is also different: https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/f ... w/?id=4245
Conditions de victoire :
6 médailles.

Pour le joueur Allié, appliquez les règles des pions "Exit" à la portion de bord de plateau comprise entre eux du coté des forces de l'Axe.
The conclusion is that the manuals linked on BGA are outdated and there must be an "errata corrige" to them...

Return to “Translations”