A question re: Fire and Ice - Final scoring tiles and going up in rating

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Shadewe

A question re: Fire and Ice - Final scoring tiles and going up in rating

Post by Shadewe »

Hello all,

I am rated high-good, and playing against a lot of good and strong opponents as I try to play against people near my rating. However, either via the games I set up or the ones I join, very few have been with the F&I final scoring tiles. As I get stronger/higher rated, am I expected to be using this scoring more so? Should I be anyway?

I partly ask as a lot of the 500+ player rating games I watched have had the F&I scoring; I understand I am not 500 yet, but assuming I manage to get even a little higher in the near-term, is it good practice to learn to play this style? Should I be playing it exclusively or just toss it in, maybe 50/50 with or without it?

If it helps, I only play 4 player games, otherwise fairly flexible.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

edit: grammar
donkeykong66

Re: A question re: Fire and Ice - Final scoring tiles and going up in rating

Post by donkeykong66 »

I have reached this 500+ mark and I personally haven't played with Fire and Ice scoring ever. Overall, I'm sure you can find plenty of games with and without F&I scoring, and it all comes down to personal preference. No matter what you prefer, you'll be able to join a game with the desired settings, or otherwise set up one yourself and you'll find like-minded people.

The great thing about TM is that it has so many options - different maps (even your own created maps now!), F&I scoring, F&I factions, Fan Factions, and they all are fun to explore and keep the game fresh. No matter which settings you choose, many strategies and important considerations remain the same, so you can't really go wrong with either of them.

If your goal is to explore the game as much as possible, go ahead and just play whatever settings you'd like. If your goal is to get a deeper understanding of the game, I'd suggest sticking to some more "basic" settings first (any of the official maps, with no F&I scoring, no F&I factions and no fan factions). The game has some amazing depth and variability even with those settings, and there's a lot to learn (even when you reach the 500+ level).

Final note: if your goals is to eventually play the arena seasons, so far every season has been without Fire & Ice scoring, so if that's something you're considering I'd likely skew a bit towards playing without the extra scoring. But who knows, settings can change any season and we might see it show up at some point.

Return to “Terra Mystica”