Tired of Russophobia in General Chat

Discuss about anything!
dralkyr

Tired of Russophobia in General Chat

Post by dralkyr »

Nearly everyday there is a lot of anti-Russian flame in the general messages. Politics aside, it's painful. There are suggestions to allow people to choose not to play with Russians, to add negative reputation to Russian players, to simply ban all Russian players, etc.
I'm so tired of it that right now I just want to ban everyone who suggests we ban all Russians.

Can something please be done to quell this? It's ridiculous.
AlbusMalum

Re: Tired of Russophobia in General Chat

Post by AlbusMalum »

I agree. Spamming "Russia attacked Ukraine, now every Russian here must suffer" will not change or help anything.
DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

Indeed, and given that the Russian people are already victims of a totalitarian regime and its propaganda, it seems counter-productive too.
Putin does not represent every Russian person, and he's only keeping the population in line by mass lies and force.
TheLawyer

Post by TheLawyer »

While I agree with the general sentiment of the original post here, yesterday during a game of VektoRace a Russian player told us in chat "we will destroy you". Of course reported (also because he said "bastards" because he was losing).
I am ok playing with players of any nationality, but I have to admit that interaction made me feel very sad :(
I hope to play again with Russian and Ukrainian players in a world without war (and without Putin)
stonebridge

Post by stonebridge »

Russian people need to stand up and be accountable for the actions of their own people. Putin is not killing people in Ukraine, Russian people are. Taking some heat on an online boardgame forum is a small price to pay. 150,000,000 people can resist 1 man and take control of their country if courage is favored over cowardice. I'm sick of people making excuses on these forums.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

stonebridge wrote: 30 May 2022, 18:23 ... Putin is not killing people in Ukraine, Russian people are ...
Are you serious? No really, you can't be ! You might live in a free country, but not everyone does. What applies to the US, does not apply to a country like Russia in many, many ways.
stonebridge

Post by stonebridge »

History shows people have the power to do something about ruthless dictators. It's not easy, it takes action, it requires risk, it demands courage and what it doesn't take doesn't take is lame excuses. Are you waiting for Putin to wake up one day and pronounce he's now a nice guy with morals? Or are people going to come together and create a country worthy of joining the free world.
DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

I have been posting news of the war (primarily from restricted sources, like the BBC) regularly on here, and including the barriers faced to Russian protest against it and defiance in the face of this. I have met many Russians who are against the war, IRL as well as on BGA.

Stonebridge your view sounds, charitably, naïve (uncharitably, it's plain bigotry). Would you like to be held personally accountable for all of America's gun violence and mass shootings, or its racism? Should I, because my flag on here reflects the UK be held personally responsible for all the evil of the British empire (despite having been born to people groups that empire ground down)? It is cheaper to point to someone else and say, they should do something about that, than it is to look realistically at ourselves and say, I can do something about that.

So for a breath of fresh air, I found this article considering Russian identity in this current situation. And may we each consider the question, what can I, personally, do? Not as a statement of helplessness, but to consider where we have choices we can make.

What does it mean to be Russian? For many of us, it’s no longer a simple question
Ivan Philippov
Tue 31 May 2022 07.00 BST

Like others ashamed by the invasion of Ukraine, I have left Russia, my home. We feel like leaves, scattered by a hurricane

A monument to friendship between Russia and Ukraine is dismantled in Kyiv on 26 April 2022.
Photograph: Laurence Figa-Talamanca/EPA

“Ukrainians don’t have to pay!” I am trying to buy three shawarmas in a market in Tbilisi, Georgia, but the street vendor emphatically refuses to take my money. I try to explain, even though I was warned not to say this: “I am sorry, I am not Ukrainian, I am Russian.” The vendor looks at the Ukrainian flag pin on my lapel; he doesn’t believe me.

Before 24 February, I never thought about what it means to be Russian. Now it’s all I think about.

I was born in Moscow and, until recently, lived there all my life. But “I am Russian” would literally be the last thing I would answer to the question, “Who are you?” I am a father, I am a creative executive at a film company, a writer, a journalist, a podcaster, a friend … a Russian? Well, yes, but it’s just the name on a passport that I have, nothing else.

I grew up in the 1990s and 2000s, when people of my generation – or at least the people I knew – thought of themselves as citizens of the world. After my first year at university I hitchhiked across Europe. The only time I thought about my nationality was when I was had to apply for visas. I know, however, that this was ultimately down to privilege. Unlike my friends from Dagestan, Buryatia, Yakutia or North Osetia, I could afford not to think about my Russian identity. With a Slavic face and a Slavic name, I was not subject to the everyday chauvinism that saturates Russian society.

I loved my country, but I never waved a Russian flag at a demonstration or publicly expressed my patriotism – it was just not something that people like me did. We thought about patriotism in terms of politics – if you care for your country you try to make it better. So I tried. For over a decade I went to all the opposition rallies, I protested against injustice. Like-minded people and I tried our best to make our country a better place. But I never fell for the patriotic mantras about how great Russia is or how great it used to be and should be again.

Why should I be proud that the Soviet Union was the first country to launch a man into space? Yuri Gagarin or Sergei Korolev should be proud of that, it was their achievement, not mine. Why should I be proud that the Soviet Union won the great patriotic war? My grandfathers fought in it. The war broke them, but they won: they should be proud of that. I know they were. These achievements were certainly never part of my identity in the same way that they are for the “Putin majority”, my compatriots who build their sense of self on past victories to which they are associated only by an accident of birth.

But now these questions do feel important to me. “I am Russian,” I repeat to the street vendor. “But you are with them?” he asks, nodding in the direction of my companions. Maria Belkina and Kirill Zhivoi are the people who run Tbilisi Volunteers – a movement that has already helped thousands of Ukrainian refugees in Georgia. Yes, I am with them. We had just finished buying a car full of supplies – food and hygiene products to be distributed among refugees in one of the Tbilisi Volunteers help centres. “I am with them – but I am Russian.”

The day of the invasion – 24 February – is a day that will be forever seared into my memory. The enormity and the irrationality of the war was like a physical blow. In my carefully constructed social bubble, there wasn’t a single person who supported the war. We felt like leaves, scattered by a hurricane. We still feel like this.

Some of us left Russia and some stayed. I left with the film director Kantemir Balagov. It was past midnight when we were sitting in the deserted food court of Istanbul airport, waiting for our flight to Yerevan, Armenia. Nursing a glass of water, Kantemir asked me: do you think we should stop speaking in Russian? Do we have to be ashamed of our language? That is probably the only question to which I have an unequivocal answer: “No!”

Let me try to explain. Vladimir Putin and Volodymyr Zelenskiy both speak Russian, but their languages could not be more different. Zelenskiy’s Russian is passionate, emotional and vibrant – alive. The language of Russian propaganda is dead: a senseless pile-up of obscure bureaucratese. The great Russian director Andrey Zvyagintsev made a powerful film, Loveless, about an absence of love in everyday Russian life. The Russian that Putin and his cronies speak reflects this – it is deliberately un-alive. So no, we will never be ashamed of Russian: we speak a different language.

It’s not quite the same with our passports. In the line to the border control in Istanbul, I overheard a conversation between a Ukrainian mother and daughter. They were standing right behind me – they were trying to fly back home to Kyiv. They left for a holiday in Turkey before the war and now they were going back to a world in which their grandmother was hiding in a bomb shelter and their father and brother had joined the territorial defence forces. I listened to their conversation and felt an overpowering sense of shame. My Russian passport burned like hot coal in my pocket.

I don’t think I will be able to read any of my favourite Russian books or watch Russian films or TV shows that I loved any time soon. They all have has the same ending now: 24 February and the robotic voice of President Putin announcing his “limited military operation”. Bucha, Irpen, Hostomel, Mariupol … We will have to write new books and make new films. And, step by step, we will figure out what it means to be Russian now.

Back in Tbilisi, I finally convince the vendor to take my money. “You don’t support the war, do you?” he asks me suspiciously. No, of course I don’t. How can anyone support this bloody madness? But while I am very much against the war and against Putin, I am Russian. For some reason, it is important for me to say that. As I am about to leave, he gives me an extra kebab for free.

Ivan Philippov is a writer and former journalist. He is currently a creative executive at AR Content
SimplicatusGames

Post by SimplicatusGames »

You are all welcome to join our group #StandWithUkraine where we welcome more constructive discussions, including helping each other counter bad behaviour related to the war, by players of any nationality.

💛💙💛💙💛💙
https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=11619509
💛💙💛💙💛💙
Our games make you think! https://Simplicatus.Games is an independent publisher and distributor of indie tabletop games.
stonebridge

Post by stonebridge »

DaffyVina,

Naïve? You yourself may not be as worldly as you believe. Bigotry? Ridiculous. Point to anything I said that supports that accusation. I have no issues with any single person from anywhere. I'm not typecasting any individual Russian, but I am speaking of the responsibilities of any individual who happens to be Russian, and lives and prospers based on the actions of the country.

The only thing I said is that Russian people need to take accountability and stop making excuses. And yes, as an American it IS our, and MY, responsibility for our gun violence and our mass shootings. If we don't solve it ourselves, no one will. But I'm not going to sit around and say there is nothing that can be done about it and that it's got nothing to do with me. And I certainly wouldn't wait for some mysterious outside force to swoop in and fix the problem.

But Russia, the country, right now is a pariah among nations and is inflicting undue pain and misery on the world based on what most would have hoped to be antiquated concepts of military conquest. The best people to solve the Putin/Russian Government problems are the Russian people and I stand by that. If you disagree, then I love to hear what you think the solutions is.

Return to “Off-topic”