New game page

What's new on BGA ?
bjk1

Re: New game page

Post by bjk1 »

The changes look really good in my opinion!
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

It's super busy, but with some customization could approach the old clarity again.

The biggest problem I have with the new layouts remains:

Even as a premium player paying to avoid ads, I see this:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

It basically acts as a giant (sometimes animated) ad banner I can't avoid or opt out of. I am always trying to scroll past it to see alpha and beta games, and it clashes really badly with the rest of the Games page.
Joltarin

Post by Joltarin »

I would make greater changes from the desktop version to be more usable on the smaller screens of smartphones. The hero slider area just doesn't scale down well. (I'm a professional web developer.)
csuk wrote: 15 June 2022, 13:22Just an idea - perhaps it would be handy to put the rules summary module closer to the Rules section on top - as simple html summary is more accessible than the full pdfs, I imagine many users would appreciate this.
I second this suggestion.
zellaaa

Post by zellaaa »

Please fix the rules summary page for some games, I'm playing on phone and sometimes I can't see the full text written on it
zellaaa
Gyasi

Post by Gyasi »

Nice to see some changes, here's my feedback.
Honestly the top is a bit too busy for me.
The play button highlighting the section that is literally under it seem a bit like it shouldn't be there. It would also be a bit disturbing if it was the only link taking you to the Tutorial and it's not saying "Tutorial" anywhere. There are many ways to "Learn", I don't know where that would take me, if I'm looking for the BGA tutorial I would be looking for that word, a new BGA user would probably not even know they existed and might never click that since the relevant rules are just under.

It looks like the link to Create a Tutorial has now disappeared, there used to be the dedicated Tutorial section and it would tell you there was none, making it at least obvious to you as a new member on BGA that Tutorials are a thing.

The section on the banner right, offering in tabs what's already available down below is just crowding imo. It should be one or other mainly because there's seldom good reasons to show something twice is such proximity.

Lastly the only place where you can "see games in progress" is an overlay in that tab, which isn't super obvious as it's darkened and you lose it if you clicked any other tab (it's literally the only information in there that is not repeated anywhere else on the page)

What about Banners that are very white, will the text be readable over it? It looks like it's been darkened, which could solve it, maybe the only critique is that it's basically the only place where that 1380x400 high def image is shown, aaand it's overlayed with a grey.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Has the option to watch a sample game disappeared? There's the small video screen where you can "preview" it, but there's no way to watch it full screen (and as replay, not as a video).
arisanana

Post by arisanana »

Jellby wrote: 15 June 2022, 20:32 Has the option to watch a sample game disappeared? There's the small video screen where you can "preview" it, but there's no way to watch it full screen (and as replay, not as a video).
If you're talking about the "watch a game in progress" where you can choose from any current tables to look at, clicking the blue game in progress text pulls up the list of tables as it did before...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My feedback as a desktop user:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think the new layout is pretty interesting but the thing that gets me most is the white background (starting under the header) with the very very pale gray of each module. If it were like, a white line running behind the "Learn/Play" buttons and publisher? logo, and then some other color or pattern instead of white in the background behind the gray modules, it'd feel more there.....even a BGA gradient border or something, anything to separate the backgrounds...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About the order and layout of where each module is, if I'm understanding the announcement correctly, they'll be optimized in the future, meaning that they'll change depending on our familiarity or how we play with each game? Whatever the case, for the time being, image and videos being on the opposite side of the screen (in essentiality not stacked together) bothers me... I think it'd bother me later too even if they were to move about based off how much/how exactly I play a game—having them move together would help get the "media" section over with when scrolling :')

(Probably same deal with the "Rules summary" and "Game rules" areas)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In regards to the big "Learn" button, the followup pop-up screen seems a bit, I dunno, pointless. The jump to tutorial is cool but "Just browse the rules" just scrolls you down to the "Game rules" module and it's a bit like, if the "Game rules" module is right there up top like it should be for anyone new to the game, etc, then what's the point of scrolling to it? You see it first thing if you go down a little bit anyways. If it were, to say, instead open the "Rules summary" module or something, that seems like it'd make sense, as as far as I can see it's not the first thing you see and you have to click it to see the whole thing anyways.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A bit niche but for whatever reason, "Achievements" doesn't show up on coop games like Hanabi or Bandido for me, even though we get achievements for ELO reached and matches won, etc like any other game. Dunno if this is broken because it's been tied to the ranking and arena history modules or what.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TBH, the preview window for the sample game in progress and other tabs is kinda easy to miss, although it's not terrible I'd say. Definitely easier to see a sampling of game progress than the previous pages (scroll scroll). There could be better implementation or changes based off what others have said but if you were to keep it at least put the "watch a game in progress" hyperlink as part of the bottom border instead of an overlay? Or at the very least making the color of the hyperlink for that different because a lot of people seem to be missing it with the dark blue on the black overlay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All that said, I like the biiiiig title-contrast-standing-out thing going on, the lineup of tags, and how information is more compressed than before (with what feels like larger font size?) DEFINITELY appreciate the new ranking module look with the next buttons instead of endless "see more" scrolling (although achievements seems to be a continuous list instead, or still?). Sometimes mid-game (training or rated or arena, any really) I feel like checking what my rank was, and then spend like 2 minutes scrolling and then have to scroll all the way back after being reminded it's my turn and rush my moves. Also, not that I'd probably ever use it, but the subtle Add buttons seem nice for those who'd use them.
aesche

Post by aesche »

On iPad, the top slider is bugged, going back to a earlier entry, it doesnt scroll there fully.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

arisanana wrote: 16 June 2022, 02:41If you're talking about the "watch a game in progress" where you can choose from any current tables to look at, clicking the blue game in progress text pulls up the list of tables as it did before...
No, I'm talking about a sample completed game. Watch a game in progress is useless for less than very popular games, because there's often no real-time game in progress, and watching a turn-based game in progress means hours of looking at a static screen.
Jaipur_59

Post by Jaipur_59 »

First of all, thanks for existing !! It is the most important !
BGA is a great site and I am a premium member for a couple of years, now. And I will continue to support BGA.

Changes are a good thing, the website needs to live up to your ambitions.

But... I have to admit that I am not crazy about what I have seen so far.

In my opinion, the global design is too "crude". It is the best word I've found to resume my thinking.

The fonts used, the use of bold, the global design, the pictures, the enormous buttons, the 3D images of the boxes, the impression of clutter, etc...
You should be inspired by what BGG does because their new website it's much more modern, a lot more sharper.

I will continue to use and support BGA for sure but always with this little disappointment because everything doesn't look very nice and - in my opinion - could have been done a lot better.

Just my thoughts of course but I wanted to share.
Perhaps if I am not alone with this impression, you could take some time to change that.

Michaël.

Return to “BGA release notes”