Abandon + red thumbs.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Silene

Re: Abandon + red thumbs.

Post by Silene »

Don't talk about fight club :P
Well - that group basically turned inactive with Hanabi getting new interface and premium status - haven't added any new members since. It only serves nostalgia-reasons right now (might get reactivated later - but idk about it now).
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

I have one partner that only plays on difficult (5 multi cards). Another partner that never plays with black powder. And other partners that do play with black powder. So I have lots of abandoned games due to wrong settings. I would be way over 5%, even though these are legit abandons imo.
Vandaley

Post by Vandaley »

This also happens in Tranquility. I do not have many red thumbs, but one is from the highest rated tranquility player who was mad that I did not agree to abandon when it became clear we would not win.

This does not happen to me in other coop games where the ELO is +1 everytime, only in Hanabi and Tranquility where there is +5 to +10 or -10 to -5 in the balance.

It is tough since the ratings for Hanabi to tell a big story about what to expect from your teammates, but the thirst for ELO is also not good.

That said, there is a great group that does not abandon and has little Duplicate Bridge style tournaments that you might be interested in, check them out, they have fizzled a bit, but I think if people join and post again they will start back up: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=10944590
BusError

Post by BusError »

I don't believe having red thumbs does anything to ruin your rating, just prevents you from being matched with that player in the future. I red thumb anyone with high abandon rates, or who proposes an abandon on the basis of not being able to complete a game of Hanabi. I don't expect that they face any repercussions other than being able to join my games. Win-win.
aesche

Post by aesche »

BusError wrote: 20 June 2022, 08:05 I don't believe having red thumbs does anything to ruin your rating, just prevents you from being matched with that player in the future. I red thumb anyone with high abandon rates, or who proposes an abandon on the basis of not being able to complete a game of Hanabi. I don't expect that they face any repercussions other than being able to join my games. Win-win.
That‘s true for private red thumbs. Public red thumbs can cap the Karma, if the ratio of public red vs green is too high.
BusError

Post by BusError »

aesche wrote: 20 June 2022, 08:09
BusError wrote: 20 June 2022, 08:05 I don't believe having red thumbs does anything to ruin your rating, just prevents you from being matched with that player in the future. I red thumb anyone with high abandon rates, or who proposes an abandon on the basis of not being able to complete a game of Hanabi. I don't expect that they face any repercussions other than being able to join my games. Win-win.
That‘s true for private red thumbs. Public red thumbs can cap the Karma, if the ratio of public red vs green is too high.
Wait, so if I red thumb and say "yes, everyone else should..." with a reason that immediately impacts Karma without moderator review? That's interesting, and explains why those are capped.
aesche

Post by aesche »

BusError wrote: 20 June 2022, 08:16 Wait, so if I red thumb and say "yes, everyone else should..." with a reason that immediately impacts Karma without moderator review? That's interesting, and explains why those are capped.
Yeah, but usually one doesnt reach that ratio, unless being an actual *, or maybe in heated games like Bang. Hanabi might go towards that direction too, with all the different strategies and conventions.

*moderator edit: please use family-friendly language
Jkline

Post by Jkline »

If everyone at the table is giving you red thumbs, then the problem is you.

Return to “Hanabi”