IAGO proposed contest

Discuss about anything!
MarkSteere

IAGO proposed contest

Post by MarkSteere »

IAGO proposed contest

Indie Abstract Games - Online (only)

Apologies for the contrived acronym.

Contest should be more informative than just overall most popular. Popularity statistics are already provided by the Games in Progress and Audience lists.

"Best of" categories should be well defined. Like, not "best deep game" or "best clear game" which adjectives are subjective and ambiguous.

Examples just to kickstart discussion:

Best serious game. Serious: putting a lot of time and thought into each move. Outcome is imperative. Winning is exhilarating and losing gut wrenching. Oust comes to mind.

Best casual game. Casual: Light and fun to play. Pass the time. Winning matters but not overly critical. Cephalopod comes to mind.

[Serious games can be played casually and vice versa. But on average.]

Best graphics - Fractal comes to mind. I've received more compliments than complaints. Compliments: "outstanding", "surreal", "amazing". Complaints: "distracting", "lame".

Simplest, easiest to understand rules. This would be a contest for second place after Dodo.

Most complicated, difficult to comprehend rules. Rive comes to mind.

Most original, unique, ground breaking... Kind of hard to stand out against the proliferation of abstract games, but I'm sure there would be nominees.

Forgive the horn tooting. I'm familiar with my own games and I reference them only as supporting examples.

I'm much too lazy to do any work on this beyond this proposal. I'm only providing the spark. Someone else will have to water it and see if it grows.

(I know. Mixed metaphor.)

Return to “Off-topic”