Starting character alternative mode

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Bigredgwj

Starting character alternative mode

Post by Bigredgwj »

I'd love to see an alternative mode/variant of Glow where either every player starts with the same character or there's a generic hero that gives the same reward to everyone.

I really, really, really like the concept of this game. The artwork is also fantastic. Once I took a look at the overall stats and saw Blue/Green are ressponsible for 50%+ of the wins, I became disheartened. I do enjoy Purple and the occasional Orange play. However, it's a disparaging start if you're the third player to act. I find mysef not wanting to play much anymore.
thoun

Re: Starting character alternative mode

Post by thoun »

That's not exactly what you ask for, but there is a "Random adventurer" option to avoid Blue/Green being always picked before the others.
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

The main thing that needs to be balanced is the variety of companions. If other colours had more access to reroll tokens you would see their win rates climb. Make 5x Okans, one for each colour, for example.

It's probably too late to change the base game of Glow as it is. I know they are working on an expansion though. Hopefully it does balance the game out.
thoun

Post by thoun »

The base game won't change, indeed, but I warned Bombyx that some players reported a balance issue, so they can fix balance with the expansion ;)
The random adventurers option is the only option we could do, that stay in line with the physical rules (Bombyx agreed for this option).
Palapapa

Post by Palapapa »

I don't like the idea of an okans like companion for every color as it would result in who has the okanslike showing up or not.

- The main problem of this game is okans and the solution is not adding 4 okans but changing or removing this card.
2green for 1pt/1reroll would be a good change. Still very strong but not overpowered.
- Likyar should be changed to one orange one red for 1p/1reroll instead of one green one red. Indeed, no reason to give Bracchio a 3rd option for reroll companion while Eoles and Moloch have only 1.
- Last mandatory change is balancing starting powers. Bracchio power is fair, Teatyss is overpowered and others are underpowered. Taetyss and Eoles : The difficulty for activating the power is the same but a reroll token is far better than a firefly and as if it was not enough Teatyss even win one more point everytime...
Good balance would be : Taetyss : 2pt/1reroll for 1water/1cloud + 2footprint bonus. Eoles 4pt/1firefly for 1could/1orange + 2footprint bonus (because otherwise often stuck at the start on one side)
Orium : 3pt/2similar color
Pocana : need some starting improvment also as one more dice is not as strong as the other powers (8points?).
Moloch : 1pt/1footprint for 1 orange
Noctiluca : 6pt for 3similar color

And adding strong orange and red companions is a necessity. So poor at the moment.
And one purple and one gold companion for Noctiluca and Orium as they have nothing specific to them : 4point per footprint on dices, 2aditional points per gold dice.

Return to “Glow”